Connecting Kobotoolbox directly to power bi secvice

Hello Everyone

I used to connect the data I collect using kobo forms to power bi desktop
Now I want to do the same but with power bi service ( Power Bi Online) so is there a way that allows me to do so?

1 Like

Welcome back to the community, @Diana639! You will need to search where you should be able to input your API endpoint as you did with the Desktop version. Try checking your application documentation. Maybe that could be helpful.

Thanks for your suggestion @Kal_Lam
Looks like this feature is only available in the paid version

Hi Diana, Can i suggest you a workaround? So basically, you can download your data set to a Power BI desktop and publish it as a report or as blank. After that, you will be able to edit your report online as you want, but it will be limited compared to the Desktop version. And you can directly update the data set from the Power BI online whenever you need. You need to desktop once, I did it previously but it is not useful as expected.

@osmanburcu the problem is the data was not refreshed directly from power bi online , I had to refresh it from the desktop and republish it and replace the old report
Seems like I will stick to what I’m doing … I connected my report to an excel file and every week I download the new submissions and add them to the excel file
Thanks for your suggestion

No, you can refresh the data directly, I currently have many, many dashboards that got data directly data from kobo and update it online hourly. I published them months ago and didn’t touch them since, but it is always up to date. You can update your data directly in Power BI servers

@osmanburcu I just tried it and it did not work
I made a report that gets its data directly from kobo and then I published it then I tried to add a submission in kobo
When I hit refresh in the desktop version the data and visuals are updated
When I hit refresh in the online version nothing happened and nothing is updated ( nor the dataset nor the visuals)
could you please tell me in details the steps you took to make it work or tell me where did I made wrong?

First of all, how did you import the data? Api V1 or V2? For online version, Which refresh button you clicked? There is one in the dashboard in the far left corner and one in the data set in the far right corner.

This video should give you more idea and explain how to do it: Islam Burcu on LinkedIn: As a person using this method frequently and saving time, I would like you…

@osmanburcu I am not an expert excuse me I don’t know the difference between Api v1 and v2 but I’m trying to follow the instructions in the video you shared

@osmanburcu
Thanks a lot it worked perfectly

1 Like

To connect Kobotoolbox to Power BI, you can use Power BI’s built-in capabilities for connecting to web services and APIs. Here’s a general overview of the process:

1. Prepare your Kobotoolbox data: Make sure you have a Kobotoolbox account and a form with data that you want to connect to Power BI. Ensure that your form responses are in a structured format, such as JSON or CSV.
  2. Open Power BI Desktop: Launch Power BI Desktop, the desktop application for creating and publishing reports with Power BI.
  3. Get data from Web: In Power BI Desktop, click on “Get Data” from the Home tab in the ribbon. In the “Get Data” window, search for and select “Web” as the data source.
  4. Configure Web connector: In the Web connector window, enter the URL of the Kobotoolbox API that provides access to your data. This would typically be the API endpoint that allows you to retrieve form responses. You may need to refer to the Kobotoolbox API documentation for specific details.
  5. Authenticate and retrieve data: Depending on the authentication method required by Kobotoolbox, you may need to provide credentials (e.g., API key, username/password) to authenticate your connection. Once authenticated, you can configure the desired data retrieval options, such as selecting specific fields or filtering data.
  6. Transform and load data: Power Query Editor will open, allowing you to transform the data if needed. You can perform tasks such as renaming columns, removing unnecessary data, or applying data type conversions. Once you’ve completed the transformations, click “Close & Apply” to load the data into Power BI.
  7. Visualize and analyze: With the data loaded into Power BI, you can start creating visualizations and building reports and dashboards based on your Kobotoolbox data. Use Power BI’s various visualization options to explore and analyze the data.
  8. Refresh data: To keep your Power BI reports up to date with the latest data from Kobotoolbox, you can schedule or manually refresh the data in Power BI. This will ensure that your reports reflect the most recent form responses.
1 Like