Controlling data collection device

Hello,
Currently my org. is collecting data from the different station using Kobocollect. For this purpose, we procure More than 200 tablets and distributed. But My worry is since the data points are very scattered it will be difficult tracking the device in the future. So is there any mechanism that helps to track the status of our tablets like the data usage, security issue and so on.

Thank You!

Hi @Wesen,

KoBoToolbox helps you to collect primary data from the field using smartphones/PCs. Though it does not directly help you to track your mobile devices, you could make a workaround by including Metadata within your survey projects (such as device id) to track certain information viz. whether you are receiving data from that particular device as being reported from the field etc.

1 Like

HI @Kal_Lam
Thank you for the quick response. I think that will be a good idea to control the device.
Many thanks

1 Like

@Wesen, we had same concern when we started data collection exercise in North East of Nigeria. What we did was to change enumerators’ selection criteria. Now we engage enumerator with android phone. It saves cost, reduces risk of mobile device theft and more.

2 Likes

@reverton , wow that is smart but our enumerators are local to the village where undroid phone is not affordable.
Much appreciate!

Hi
In addition to @Kal_Lam recommendation. I suggest you control the apps using a remote administrator app that you can use to remotely log in or even while your tablets on field. This way you can also monitor the tablet activity

Regards
Stephane

2 Likes

@stephanealoo
Thank you very much @stephanealoo that is interesting. Does it require kind of software/APPs?

1 Like

Hi
Definately softwares that provide remote control ability. You may need to do some reading or look for advice from other places

Regards
Stephane

1 Like