Create restriction on decimals to place negative numbers before the point

Hello everyone, I’m new to the application, I need to solve something. In the decimal number, I need to place 2 numbers before the point, they can be negative or positive and after the point that are 5 mandatory digits. Please help.

Hi @julirami225, welcome to the community!

I think this will solve your issue:

regex(., '^\d{2}\.\d{5}$')

Here is a detailed help article on how to apply regex:
https://support.kobotoolbox.org/restrict_responses.html

If you need further help, don’t hesitate to ask :slight_smile:
Best,

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help, I checked but I did not find how to restrict to placing the first negative or positive number, like this:

Let it work both ways. If you can help me I would really appreciate it.

@julirami225, could you also share some possible input values that you wish to have for this? Initially you wanted to restrict 2 digits before the decimal point but in the later post it seems like you could also have one decimal digit before the decimal point.

@Kal_Lam Sorry for the confusion in the previous post, the data I want to enter exactly is 2 digits (positive or negative) before the comma and 5 digits (positive) after the comma.

Example:

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Hi @julirami225,

Can you try this one, this shoul let you put - before 2 digits, then a point . then 5 digits.

regex(., ‘^-?\d{2}.\d{5}$’)

This will accept exactly 2 digits before point and exactly 5 digits after point.

Let’s see if that works.

1 Like

@julirami225, or if you still need the value in a number format, you could use the demical question type in the solution shared by @hakan_cetinkaya. It should be as shown in the image shared below:

In the survey tab of your XLSForm:

Reference XLSForm:

Decimal.xlsx (9.2 KB)

1 Like

@Kal_Lam @hakan_cetinkaya It worked great, thank you very much.

2 Likes