Creating a question that automatically collects GPS points in the background

Hi all,

I don’t know if this is possible, but I would like to get the geolocation (gps coordinates) automatically when one question is answered, without showing the map or coordinates. I am using Enketo based XLSForms.

Thanks in advance
Sarah

1 Like

Hi Sarah
There has been some discussions on the ODK forum. I have not tested this on our end but these are suggestions made from the forum:

1. Work off the XLS form design and do the following:
    Create the GPS question and ensure it is as follows
    a. Type = geopoint,
    b. name = gps or any name you want
    c. appearance = background.
    d. You can set the accuracy level you need.

With this when you get to the gps page on surveycto collect. The gps question will not show but it will record when the gps location is active,

Regards
Stephane

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer.

I checked and it is not working in web based XLSform.
Anybody has some other suggestion? I would really like for this to work

Thanks,
Sarah

Hi
Could you explain what you meant by web based XLS form?

Regards
Stephane

Hi Stephane,

Thank you for you answer.
I am using web based Enketo XLSForms it is not a KoBoCollect, We are using IPads to collect in the field, and KoBoCollect is android application, so we use web based forms.

Hope it is more clear
Sarah

1 Like

Hi Sarah
Thanks for your clarification

I noticed also that this is not supported on Enketo. Unfortunately I cannot find a workaround for the KoboCollect. I would let other users chime in on it and then we can be able to pick up from there.

Regards
Stephane

1 Like

Thanks Stephane for taking your time to look into it.
I would be very appreciative if somebody could take a look at how to automatically create a gps point in the background in web based Enketo forms.

Thanks,
Sarah

2 Likes

This is the same issue I have. I want to collect data with Enketo from browsers in mobile phones, irrespective of the phone’s os. I really wish there’s a way to hide the geolocation map, if it can just get location in the background just the way it works on ODK collect, it would be really great.

I hope someone will find a way for this to work. I am making my own research though on this possibility.

Hi @henadekobocommu,

Welcome to the community!

Hi @henadekobocommu, cc: @Sarah_Mac,

This could be done as outlined in the post that has been discussed previously (it should solve your issue):

Have a great day!

Hello @Kal_Lam, thanks for the suggested solution. However, I am still having problems getting geopoint with the audit question type. I am using this form in Enketo and not in ODK; could that be the problem?

@Kal_Lam, so I guess the question should be how to make background gps work in Enketo.

Hello,
as far as I know, audit itself is not working in Enketo (KoBo webform), only in KoBoCollect. See here.

1 Like

Yes you’re correct @wroos, I discovered that in the documentation.

I am considering creating a custom widget that extends the geopoint widget but modifies it to not display the maps on screen, maybe that will solve the problem. Or what other ideas do you have?