Data is missing in some rows after trying to download in all forms (KML, CSV, XLS etc)

The excel repairs the file and then opens it. Around 40 rows are missing. Is it data collection error/form error or MS Excel error. I tried to open file is various versions of Excel i.e. 2016, Office365.

But data couldn’t be retrieved.

Would be thankful for guidance.

Hi @syedwajihshah,

Welcome to the community! Would you mind providing me your username and project name in a private message so that i could have a look at my end.

Have a great day!

Hi @syedwajihshah,

Kindly please be informed that i too saw the issue at my end. Should take some time to figure it out on what should be causing the issue. Will get back to you once i am able to figure it out.

Till then, Have a great day!

Hi,
Could you go back to the table view of your data and screenshot some of the data that the Excel ultimately deletes. With the information provided, I can only pinpoint this to Excel. However what drives the deletion is potential inclusion of some data that makes excel want to correct it.

Stephane

Hi again,

I carefully checked the data. The main issue is that among all 113 data submissions, around 50 rows are entirely empty. I am unable to understand the nature of the the empty rows. Meanwhile, people who are filling up these forms have shared with me that they have submitted their application however, I am unable to see that. So I revert to them and request to re-submit.

Meanwhile, I am still looking into the data from the Table View and Excel.

Thanks a million for helping me out and clarifying the situation.

Best regards
Syed

1 Like

As per my last message, could you please share your thoughts/reasons, why there are fully empty rows in the database?

Thanks in advance.

a kind reminder for getting your guidance on this matter. Thanks

Hi @syedwajihshah,

Kindly please be informed that this could be possibly due to the result where you started your survey with an optional question (in one of the earlier deployments) where the user could send blank responses as i could observe that you have deployed your survey project 47 different times adding survey question which started from less than 36 questions (while starting the survey) ending up to around 715 questions (as of today’s date).

Have a great day!

Hi @syedwajihshah
Did you have any additional finds from this one?
Stephane

Hi Kal_Lam and Stephanealoo!

Thanks so much for your follow up on this.

@Kal_Lam I agree that there were 47 deployments of the form over a period of 7 to 10 days but we filled only 5 test forms and those rows still shows the test data that I put on those test forms.

@stephanealoo! I checked, there is no difference between online table-view on kobo site and downloaded and repaired excel file.

I am just wondering, what empty rows mean? Are these in-process data forms which have not been submitted and are draft or they are actually empty rows where people tried to submit but then restarted filling up the forms.

I would be thankful for this clarifications.

Very grateful to both of you.
Best regards,
Syed

Hi,
This is definitely an issue with the multiple versions. It seems there was a point in submission where forms initiated were submitted before data was completely filled. The only solution now is to ensure that you clean the data and then monitor moving forward.

Stephane

1 Like

Dear KOBO Support Team,

A million thanks for the support.

I will do so and update you accordingly, though it will be very challenging as which of the end-users of this project actually fell into this category. But I will try my best and update you.

Kind regards
Syed

2 Likes