Deactivating selected options in the preceding questions

Hi all.

I have a grouping questions and I want to deactivate a selected options in next repeating groups or at least generate an error message as I submit.
Please I need help!
Thanks!

Hi @bazzouzi,

Welcome to the community! Would you mind explaining your issue a bit more clearly so that we are able to provide you with an appropriate solution.

Have a great day!

Thnks a lot!

I mean in a grouping questions if I select an option it should be deactivated in the next repeating grouping questions or at least generate an error if there is redundancy.

Hi @bazzouzi,

Would you mind sharing us your dummy question so that we see if it is possible in KoBoToolbox.

Have a great day!

Sorry don"t understand :slight_smile:

Hi @bazzouzi,

Try drafting a list of question (maybe 2/3) and share it with us (showing how you would like to see the question) so that we could have a closer look at it.

Have a great day!

Hi @bazzouzi,

Or is it something like this you are looking for as discussed earlier in the community:

i.e. if you use this example, you will be able to produce only the list of choices that has been selected in the previous question.

Have a great day!

Hopefully it is clear !

Hi @bazzouzi,

Looking at your requirement i would like to recommend 3 approaches for solving your issue:

Approach 1:

You could use the matrix question to design your survey form. For details on how to design a matrix question type in KoBoToolbox, you could also see the support article here. Alternatively you could also build it as outlined in the image below:

In the survey tab of the xlsform:

In the choices tab of the xlsform:
Image 2

In the setting tab of the xlsform:
Image 3

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
Matrix.xlsx (12.6 KB)

Please note: this works best in Enketo.

Approach 2:

You could use the grouping method. For details on grouping question type please see the support article here.

Image 2

Reference xlsform:
Grouping Question.xlsx (11.4 KB)

Please note: this should work best in both Enketo as well as KoBoCollect android app.

Approach 3:

You could also use the repeat group method as outlined in the image below. Maybe this was the method you were exactly looking for. Though it’s a bit complicated (when compared to Approach 2), it will save your time while designing your survey form.

Image 2

Reference xlsform:
Repeating Group.xlsx (11.8 KB)

Please note: this should also work best in both Enketo as well as KoBoCollect android app.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thanks a million!
That helps a lot.

1 Like