Double Entry in Data tab of Kobotoolbox

Hi Admin,

I’m getting a double entry of my data when I view it within Kobotoolbox, under Data tab.
Supposedly when you send the data after the census it will be gone from your android mobile phone.
Would you know what’s the problem?

Hi @renzinity,

• Can you tell which server you are using?
  • Does it happen to all of your projects or just one project?
  • Does it happen with everyone or with specific people?
  • Which data collection method are you using? Kobocollect or Enketo web forms?
1 Like
  • How can you identify the “double entry”?
  • Could you provide Excel download extract or a table view screenshot of these duplicates with the following attributes: _id, _uuid, submission_time, _submitted_by. And end and deviceid (metadata, if in form).
2 Likes

Hi Hakan,

Here’s my answer

• Can you tell which server you are using? → non-humanitarian server. my account is using my email address
  • Does it happen to all of your projects or just one project? → just single project since its live and has a daily submission from multiple enumerators
  • Does it happen with everyone or with specific people? → happens for almost to our enumerators
  • Which data collection method are you using? Kobocollect or Enketo web forms? → Kobocollect through Android phone

Hi Wroos,

Please see below answer;

• How can you identify the “double entry”? → after downloading it through excel and checking for duplicates then eventually go through all the questions.
  • Could you provide Excel download extract or a table view screenshot of these duplicates with the following attributes: _id, _uuid, submission_time, _submitted_by. And end and deviceid (metadata, if in form).
    → extracted the top 20 entry

@renzinity, just curious to know how these duplicates were seen in your data. Did you also manually upload submissions to your server? Or do you have any idea how the duplicate happened? The details you provide should help us fix the issue so that it does not happen again.

Hi Khal,

I’m thinking in the Kobo Collect, before the enumerator submit their data. maybe they are cloning it. I don’t know it has an option using the mobile phone to do that? These are all through their android device using Kobo Collect.

Regards,

@renzinity, would you mind sharing with me the following information through a private message so that I could have a closer look at your case:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server

Note: You could share with me a private message as outlined in the post discussed previously:

• If stored, could you also provide the end date (metadata)?

This screenshot doesn’t indicate duplicates. It only shows that 2 users (toribloc & delossantosj) used twice the same device, even once during the same day.

So, which data/variables proof that you have duplicates, please?

And, there is still the question of Kal_Lam, please: Did you upload manually any cases to the server?

Have the (duplicate) submissions been edited on the server? Which server are you using?

Collect does not have a cloning option.

Hint: submission_time also have a time part, which can be seen in the edit Excel widget when you select the cell (and in the KoBo table).
If end (datetime) is after submission_time, equalised for timezone, this indicates edit on server level after original submission.

1 Like

when you view the entry from a computer, I noticed there is a “duplicate” button.
what will happen to all the metadata in the form?

You may easily find it out if you

• duplicate a submitted case inside the server account and wait a moment before saving/submitting
  • download the Excel data for this new case and the original case
  • look at and compare the metadata.

You may clone your project to focuse on these cases then.

Some hints can be found here https://community.kobotoolbox.org/t/multiple-submissions-randomly-appeared-all-at-once-on-server-days-to-weeks-after-submitting/31465/11

1 Like