Eliminating selected options after selected once in repeat group

Hi,
I am developing a questionnaire for our monthly report on different sector. First question ask:
'How many sectors do you have to report?" Based on this answer, a group is repeated where list of all sectors, donors to the specific sectors (cascade) and brief activity is asked. Now, is it possible to hide the selected sectors in next repeat. For example:
Sector options in first repeat:
a. GBV
b. Site Management
c. WASH
d. Site Development
e. Protection
f. Disaster Risk Reduction

If (a). GBV is selected in first repeat, then sector in second repeat should be:
b. Site Management
c. WASH
d. Site Development
e. Protection
f. Disaster Risk Reduction

Though, after searching this community forum, I was able to restrict selecting one sector more than once. But, I would prefer to hide the options, not restricting as hiding is better than restricting.
Another problem with this developed tool is that this cascaded donor to their respective sector do not appears when I preview this form in my computer. But, it works fine when I deploy this form and try it in Kobo Collect apps in my android. Questionnaire attached for your better understanding.repeat group.xlsx (13.7 KB)
Any suggestions for this? Thank you so much in advance for your kind support.

1 Like

@tasfik_rukan, you could do it as outlined in the post discussed previously:

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam ,
Thanks for your kind response and support. I have been able to apply what you have just recommended.

1 Like

Hello Kal,

Thank you for this solution, I have managed to implement it on my forms. I have one additional requirement however, I need to allow one option (of the list of select_one) to be ‘excluded’ from the constraint. This can either be based on Position1 (ie first in the list) or a value e.g ‘999’.

I use this option to allow enumerators to exit the repeat if they pressed ‘add group’ accidentally and find that the enumerators find this easier to use than long press and Delete which can lead to problems.

The first option in my select_one is

name label
999 Error
1 Species1
2 Species2
etc.

Is this possible?

Regards
Rusti

Hello Kal,

Thank you for this solution (Eliminating selected options after selected once in repeat group)

I have managed to implement it on my forms. I have one additional requirement however, I need to allow one option (of the list of select_one) to be ‘excluded’ from the constraint. This can either be based on Position1 (ie first in the list) or a value e.g ‘999’.

I use this option to allow enumerators to exit the repeat if they pressed ‘add group’ accidentally and find that the enumerators find this easier to use than long press and Delete which can lead to problems.

The first option in my select_one is

name label
999 Error
1 Species1
2 Species2
etc.

Is this possible?

Regards
Rusti

@Rusti, sorry I did not understand your issue. Did you mean you wanted to exit the repeat if any options were selected from the choices?

Hi Kal,

Thanks for replying, I realised later there was a problem as it does not prevent the selection after several repeats. I read the previous post and see that it was raised as a problem before, i am trying to get Josh’s solution to work (Restrict choices already selected from a repeat group) but I am aslo having problems, if I make the answer required as it will not let me save the form. I hope someone can assist. Regards