Embedded commas in csv (select_external_from_file)

Hello,
I have one select_external_from_file csv and it is a lookup data for locations similar to state, county, village. A screenshot of the csv file looks like this.

For the location name which have embedded commas, the entire name is enclosed in quotes. I believe that this is a standard practice.

The form where this csv is used has another version, In that version, I used select_one_external instead of select_one_from_file. In that version, the above csv works.

When I use select_one_from_file, and I wanted to apply a choice_filter to the option column of the csv, there are no rows returned because select_one_from_file does not recognize the quotes as string delimeter. Instead it does not see the quotes and so it applies the choice_filter to the first part of the location. That is why there are no rows returned.

I know I can use other delimeters for example the “>” symbol but it is unfamiliar and is not how locations are usually written.

Now my question is do I have no choice but to use a different delimeter because I can’t embed a comma in location names?

Hi @raffy_m,

If you wish to use the cascading select with the select_one_from_file question type please feel free to have a workaround discussed previously:

It should solve your issue.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hello @Kal_Lam, I just decided to use a different delimeter for location names. Instead of a comma, I decided to use the ‘>’ symbol. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @raffy_m,

Did it work after using > instead of the , ?

Have a great day!