Error: Failed to allocate a 16-byte allocation because <1% of heap free after GC

Hello,

I am writing to request for support an issue that I have been encountering while using the Kobo Toolbox app. My team has been consistently receiving an error notification when attempting to submit forms, which reads: “Failed to allocate a 16-byte allocation because <1% of heap free after GC and so on.”

I kindly ask for your prompt support on this matter. If there are any troubleshooting steps that I could undertake on my end or if an update is available to address these concerns, please provide me with the necessary instructions. If not, I would appreciate an estimated timeline for when these issues might be resolved.

Welcome to the community, @amulyamiriyala! Could you also let us know the mode of data collection you have been using? I mean are you using the Collect Android App or are you using the web form to collect your data? When looking at the screenshot I assume that you are using the former.

Besides, please also let us know if this is an issue with only a single device or if it’s an issue with multiple devices. In the same note, could you also let us know if it’s issue with a single project of if it’s an issue with other projects too.

And at the end please also let us know the server you are using. All these details should be helpful for us to troubleshoot.

Thank you. Our data collection team is using Collect Android App on Tablet Devices. We noticed this issue on 4 different devices and only for this project deployed on the non-humanitarian server.

@amulyamiriyala, could you also list the device model and the OS for the same? In addition, please also share the list of device names/models and the OS where the problem does not exist. This should give us some clues to investigate.

We encountered this issue on three tablet devices, all are latest Samsung A8 tablets with Andorid 12/ 13. The other devices where we have encountered this issue are the same A8 tablets too.

Thanks.

@amulyamiriyala, are you using the ODK Collect Android App or are you using the KoboCollect Android App?

KoboCollect Android App. Thanks.

@amulyamiriyala, maybe switch your app to the ODK Collect Android App to see how it behaves or also try validating your XLSForm through online validator to see if there are any syntax issues. In addition, please check out your device’s storage to see if it has enough storage remaining in it (as the app will also need some storage space to store your collected submissions).