Error loading survey: cascading choices can only reference one choice list

Hello Kobo Expert,

I faced problems with this message:

Error loading survey:
cascading choices can only reference one choice list

I did the form in MS. Excel and upload to KoboToolbox.

This message occurred when I edit the form.
But I can preview form, answer the form, but cannot edit it.

Please help me to solve this problem.

Thank you.

Yang,

1 Like

Hi @yajxyooj,

Would you mind sharing your xlsform so that we could identify your issue.

Hi @yajxyooj, Hi @Kal_Lam,

I have exactly the same problem. I can preview the form, and the cascading choices work fine. But it wonlt let me edit it within the KoBo environment.

I would attach a copy of my form but as a new user I am not allowed to! (Ridiculous!)

Okay. I’ve managed to solve this problem!

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam,

The attached file here is the xlsform.
Please solve the problem for me.,

Thanks.

Hi @yajxyooj,

See an example of cascading selects:

In the survey sheet:

In the choices sheet:

If you are designing a survey form using the form builder UI, see the attached support article Adding Cascading Select Questions which provides you a step-by-step process on how to design a cascading select question.

@Kal_Lam, @yajxyooj,

I tried the format provided above and the help link you’ve provided, but it did not fully work for me. It would show the state and county correctly, but would not display the city when the county had been chosen. I attach a sample file of the format that finally worked. You would need to modify the above example so that:

1. ‘state’ column and ‘county’ column are combined into a single ‘cf’ column in the ‘choices’ sheet
  2. On the ‘survey’ sheet, ‘choice_filter’ column: question_2 - replace state with cf i.e cf = ${question_1}
  3. For question_3 - use a single choice as follows, replacing ‘county’ with cf i.e cf = ${question_2}

format_of_new_cascading_select.xls (13.4 KB)

Thank you @arupwash

it’s not working if we add two conditions for a filter.

I have exactly the same problem. I can preview the form,