Error message on previewing survey drafted ("reading "'length'")

Hello, Kobo community. We encountered an error when we tried to preview our survey. Error message was:

Cannot read properties of undefied (reading “length”).

Any help will be most welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

Hi @afi_progov and welcome to the community!

Can you validate your form in here to see if there are any syntax issues:

Thanks for your reply!

Here’s the message I got when I dropped the Kobo survey XLS form into the getodk space:

Do I understand correctly that since the survey is written in the Filipino language, I cannot be read by the system?

BTW: non-techy, non-programmer person here!

Thank you again!

Hi @afi_progov,

  • Do you have 2 (or more) languages in your form or is it just one language?
  • Did you use the Kobo’s Form Builder to create your form or excel?

Thank you, @hakan_cetinkaya!

Language is primarily (~95%) in just one language (Filipino), except for some English words where direct translation is too difficulty or is absent
The survey was done inside Kobo Form Builder

Hi @afi_progov,

Can you download your form in XLS format, and open it?

This is a help article shows you how you can download your form in XLS format:
https://support.kobotoolbox.org/getting_started_xlsform.html#downloading-an-xlsform-from-kobotoolbox

When you open the XLS format, you’ll see 3 sheets. Named: survey , choices , settings .

Can you stay in the survey sheet and take a screenshot of the Label column, and post it here?

Got this!

Here’s the screenshot:

Hope I got it right-

Yep you got it right @afi_progov,

Now, as you can see, your label is named

label::Filipino (“filipino(fil)”)

Can you change it to:

label::Filipino (fil)

You need to change the hint column as well.

Alternatively, you can change them just to:

label

and

hint

And then can you upload them and see if those work

Did all that you instructed, @hakan_cetinkaya

Then when I uploaded and deployed into Kobo, still got the same error message :frowning:

What else can I do?

Thank you for your patience!

@afi_progov, I see a question which says Quesiton label is required in your latest screenshot.

Can you validate the latest xls, the one which you made changes, and share the screenshot of the message?

Here are the edits made, as guided
Edit 1 of 2

Here are the edits made, as guided

Edit 2 of 2

(as a newbie, I can only post 1 photo at a time :sweat_smile:)

Oh no- there were changes in various aspects of the survey

original:

Then here are the changes when I did the fil edits

@afi_progov,

Can you make the following changes:

label::Filipino (fil) to label
hint::Filipino (fil) to hint

And upload your xlsform?

Will try this and upload updates.

Thank you!

@afi_progov, Quick update after testing in my end:

You’ll also need to change the following:

  • label::Filipino (fil) to label in the choices sheet.

  • Delete default_language column in settings sheet

will do these. salamat! (thank you in Filipino :smile: )

@hakan_cetinkaya you are a lifesaver! thank you so much! the steps worked!

@hakan_cetinkaya, :clap: :heart: :partying_face: