Error message seen while trying to export data to SPSS

I am failing to get the data into SPSS formats. I am having that error message, how best can I be assisted?

Hi @bkgwadi,

Would you mind having a look at the support article CONVERTING YOUR DATA INTO SPSS AND/OR STATA and see if it solves your issue.

Have a great day!

Hie @Kal_Lam

I tried to do that instead I am getting more errors.image . There is a common error

Warning # 4461 in column 3. Text.

Is it too late for the development guys to have a look at that export facility? It has to work because the CSV file export works.

Hi @bkgwadi,

Could you kindly providing me the following (through a private message) so that i could have a closer look at my end:

• User name
  • Project name
  • Server (OCHA or HHI)

Have a great day!

Hi @bkgwadi,

This is because when you download your data in a csv file type you generally get the variable name as outlined in the image below:

While in reality, the variable name in the SPSS label is set as outlined in the image below:

So if you delete the unmatched names (by deleting the common_data/) from the csv dataset as shown in the image below, you should be able to label your dataset:

So the fact is that you will need to ensure that the variable you have defined in your xlsform should match the variables that you see in the csv dataset.

You might also be wondering how the common_data/ comes in my variable name while downloading the csv dataset. If you look at your survey tab of your xlsform, i see that you have grouped some of the variables as shown in the image below:

Image 3

So this is why you should see the grouping names provided to the variables.

Ensure these while managing your dataset and you should be able to label you dataset (without any issue).

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hello,
Just to add to @Kal_Lam. You should NOT activate the group name option for the csv export, and your csv should come without group names. (Follow the support article cited.)
Regards

2 Likes

Dear @Kal_Lam @wroos ,

I have a similar issue I believe.

- I have followed the guide: Converting Data into SPSS and/or Stata — KoboToolbox documentation
- I have downloaded the XLS file using XML Values and headers.
- I have downloaded the syntax file SPSS labels XML Values and headers. This gives me 3 zip folder with 3 syntax files.
Lumbini household Survey and Structural assesment_Nepal_2024 - English - SPSS labels.sps
Lumbini household Survey and Structural assesment_Nepal_2024 - English (eng) - SPSS labels.sps
Lumbini household Survey and Structural assesment_Nepal_2024 - Nepalese - SPSS labels.sps

Running any of the syntax files gives me many errors, primarily in column 3 (see below)

• An invalid symbol appeared on the VAR LABELS command where a variable name was > expected. All text through the next slash will be ignored.
  • An unknown variable name was specified on the VAR LABELS command. The name >and the label will be ignored.
  • The (ADD) VALUE LABELS command specifies the labeling of a value which is >inconsistent with the type and/or the format of the variables to be labeled. >The value and the applicable label will be ignored. This error may occur >because a numeric value was omitted and the system mistook a label for a >character value, or the display formats of the variables are not the same.
  • The (ADD) VALUE LABELS command specifies an unknown variable name. The name >will be ignored.

I believe the error is due to making changes while collecting data. We changed the order of questions, sometimes the formulation of questions and added or changed answer options. However, everything works well online. I hope we can solve the errors. I went through the earlier discussions but I could not find the answers. I would really appreciate your help!