Error: Unable to deploy - No JSON object could be decoded

Hello,

I am having below issue when I try to deploy the form. It was working fine before but after the recent update it is showing this error. The error is showing when I try to deploy the form after uploading an xlsform and also directly creating form using Kobo Web Interface.

Please let me know what could be the possible solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Danish

Hi @dhakim,

Kindly please be informed that you get this error message if there is some sort of a syntax errors within your xlsform. Try fixing it out and you should be able to deploy your survey form successfully (without any error message).

FYI, these post should help you out:

Also please feel free to have a look at this post here:

Have a great day!

Hello @Kal_Lam,

Thank you for your reply, I have seen these forums previously before posting the issue here. I just created the form using Kobo Toolbox Web Interface with one question only e.g. Name and type was “abctext”, saved and when I deploy it, it gives me this error.

I then try to upload the XLSForm and with the same question but getting same error again. I have attached the xls form with this post
.xls_form (copy).xls (7 KB)
Kindly please have a look and let me know what is wrong here.

Thanks,
Danish

Hi @dhakim,

FYI, i just tried the same xlsform that you shared and did not see any error message while deploying (in both the OCHA as well as HHI server).

Deployed in OCHA Server:

Deployed in HHI Server:

Would you mind trying as a new project. If that too does not work, would you mind clearing the cache of your browser.

My final advise would be, if you do not have anything in the choices tab (you could delete the choices tab; keeping only the survey tab and the settings tab). However, kindly please be informed that for this testing i included the blank choices as well that you shared.

Have a great day!

@Kal_Lam - Thank you, but as you have suggested, I cleared my browser chrome cache, and restarted the browser, created new project and uploaded the xls form after removing the choices sheet but still the issue stays,

I tried similar steps again on another browser firefox and encountered similar issue. Could it be related to updating kobo toolbox? or anything in docker compose?

How can we check what exactly is this error “No JSON object could be decoded”, this error is too broad to be resolved.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks,

Hi @dhakim,

Seems like you are testing the same in your self hosted KoBoToolbox server. Would you mind testing the same in either OCHA server or the HHI server and see if you are able to upload them successfully (as i did).

Have a great day!

@Kal_Lam - Yes, I have installed Kobo Toolbox on my own server, which was working absolutely fine but not sure what happened to it now, can you provide me the URL and if there is any test account for OCHA or HHI servers?

Also, let me know how can I see this error in detail on server logs.

Thanks,
Danish

Hi @dhakim,

You could create user account in any of the KoBoToolbox servers you wish by following the link here.

Have a great day!

Hello @Kal_Lam - I couldn’t understand that why it is uploaded kobo.humanitarianresponse.info but have error on my server,

Also, you didn’t reply to my another question regarding debugging? Do you think restarting docker containers or running the setup again will resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Danish

Hi @dhakim,

Apologies as i am not very sure on the solution to it. Would you mind checking the same at your end by following the options you have provided.

Kindly please inform the community whether it worked (after trying out the same).

Have a great day!

When you find a form works on our servers and not your servers, then there is always something wrong on your side. You should try this with other forms and then see if the problem is consistent with all of them. Then I suggest you could restart your docker containers first before you think about setting then up afresh.

Stephane

1 Like

Hello @stephanealoo,

I tried to deploy several forms last week but all of them were having the same deployment issue. So, after some investigation and checking the logs, I found that kobocat is not able to connect with my AWS S3 bucket for storage. I disabled AWS Storage by running run.py -s and then I tried to deploy again and it worked. I am facing the similar issue of AWS S3 connection when I activate backups to be stored on AWS S3 and similarly it is also not working. I have created this issue here https://github.com/kobotoolbox/kobo-install/issues/84. I hope you may have some solution to let me know how to fix it.

Thanks

1 Like