Error while previewing a survey project

Annotation 2020-07-20 190718
Hi. I am making form manually without EXCEL, and I started to receive this error message when I try to preview. I formed groups of questions. Is it the reason? It seems once in 10 times it works, but most of the times, no.

Hello,
Can you find the token “bf1ml77” in your Excel workbook? (survey or choices sheet or even settings sheet)
You may also check (and preview) your form here https://getodk.org/xlsform/

1 Like

Hi. I am not using any sheet. Manually entering question one by one. :confounded:
I also received the error when I try to deploy. I checked (probably) 57th question, but nothing is wrong. I clicked “download XLS”, but nothing happened.Annotation 2020-07-20 193030

Hi @ivy_cambodia,

This is a case where you have a value bf1ml77 in the survey tab while the same is missing in the choices tab of your xlsform. Simplifying it, you should have a question say select_one bf1ml77 or select_multiple bf1ml77 in row 57 of your survey tab while the value bf1ml77 that should be defined in the choices tab is missing.

Workaround: Download your survey form in the xlsform and then check the survey tab (row 57). Verify it with the choices tab and search for bf1ml77. You should find that the value for bf1ml77 is missing in the choices tab. Fix this in the xlsform and then replace the form. Deploy it and you should be able to preview the survey project without any issue.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi. The thing is that I am not using xlsform, and when I click "download XLS’, which I believe it should convert my manually entered form to EXCEL sheet, nothing happens. I tried other projects, but still the same. So I still don’t know which one is “row 57”…

Hi. After multiple tries, I was able to download the EXCEL file. Thank you.
However, all the forms I created and grouped are collapsed when I reopened. I clicked the arrow, but it does not expand. I click the expand button, but it only expands the questions that are not grouped. How can I unfold the grouped questions? (Sorry this is off the original topic.)

Hi @ivy_cambodia,

Could you share with us the following through a private message so that we could have a closer look at our end:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server (OCHA or HHI)

Have a great day!

Hi. Thanks for reaching me out.
Because of the collapsed issue, I am working on different project (Ver.2, clone of Ver.1).
That one also has a different error message. But at least I can edit it.

Username: xxxxxxx
Project name:
ICS inspection record (E) (1) (Cannot unfold)
ICS inspection record (E) (2) (Preview error)
Server (OCHA)

I started make a clone because on Android, even if I delete the saved and blank form, it does not show the updated version. (“Automatic download” is selected for Form management.)

Sorry I have multiple issues as I just started using Kobo this week.

1 Like

Hi @ivy_cambodia,

So here is your problem:

How would you like to set this variable. It’s a select_multiple question but there is no code for the same in the choices tab.

This is why you are having issues!

Have a great day!

But I am not creating the question from EXCEL sheet. I am manually entering each question as creating EXCEL seems too complicated for me.
I am choosing “select multiple” from Kobo template menu, So how can it miss the code when I am not even creating the code?

Hi @ivy_cambodia,

This is what i see with your survey form (in the form builder UI):

Fix it here and the problem should be solved!

Have a great day!

I already deleted it before I sent this message and still shows the same message.
Funny you can still see it after I deleted it. (ICS inspection record (E) (2))

What about unfolding and collapsing issue? Once collapsed and saved, we cannot unfold?? (ICS inspection record (E) (1))

Hi @ivy_cambodia,

Is it that you wish to deploy ICS inspection record (E) (1)? Sorry i could not understand the term you used:

Kindly please let me know the issue you are having!

Have a great day!

Now I am working on “ICS inspection record (E) (2)”, instead of (1), so it is OK.
But I just wanted to know why once collapsed the form, I could not unfold any more. If that is the way it works, I would not try to touch “collapsed” ever again. I was almost going to lose my 170 questions I created…

Hi @ivy_cambodia,

If you talk about the issue you have reported previously, sometimes you assume that you have provided the choices (while designing a form) but accidentally forgot to provide choice. In this case the issue is seen else it should not show up.

However, if you do happen to see an issue while designing a form kindly please let us know. If it’s an issue from our end we should try to fix it out. But the current issue should be at the users end. Hence we recommend users to be cautious while providing choices.

Have a great day!