Fake Location detection

Hi Everyone

is there any way to avoid fake gps location , as we found some of our team members were manipulating location data by installing Fake GPS applications in Android phones.

is there any way that we can avoid such apps location and Kobo Collect should use actual location of Mobile.

Further can we stop using two mobiles with same id

Neeraj

Cheers !

Hi @caneeraj,

Does it also capture the accuracy level?

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam

Please guide how we can check this

Neeraj

Cheers !

Hi @caneeraj,

With the GPS question type you should be able to collect latitude, longitude, altitude and accuracy. Kindly please ensure if the accuracy is low enough or if it’s greater than 5m.

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam,

Some apps don’t allow the user to use fake location application by checking the settings of your device and show a message like this

Is it possible, that the developers add this feature to KOBO Collect app?

Best,
Yasser

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam

It’s the user who is trying or using fake location so i think I may not be able to check the accuracy level.

Further if he is using the fake location application then the accuracy may be as required , pl correct me if I am wrong.

One more thing , what I was asking is the sme which @Ysr3322 is referring as mock location disabling in kobo.

Cheers !

Neeraj

1 Like

Hi @Ysr3322, cc: @caneeraj,

This is a good suggestion. Would you mind creating a GitHub issue. Kindly please let me know (if i should create a same for you).

cc: @Xiphware @lognaturel @martijnr kindly please advise if you would like to add any on this post.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam

Thanks for response and accepting this suggestion ,

please do create the the same if you can as i am not available on github

Cheers !

Neeraj

1 Like

Please file ODK Collect feature requests in the forum features category and post suspected bugs as support requests also on the forum. That lets developers do initial triage in the open and allows and other community members see the approach taken. In this case, it’s almost certainly something that would have to be handled at the Collect level, not in JavaRosa so we really appreciate it if you don’t go straight to filing an issue unless you intend to also submit a patch.

2 Likes

Hi @lognaturel,

Thank you for your kind advise!

Hi @caneeraj, cc: @Ysr3322,

You could track the discussion through this ODK post:

Have a great day!

2 Likes

Hi @Kal_Lam,

Thanks for posting the request. I have given my vote.
Best,
Yasser

2 Likes

Hi @Kal_Lam

Thanks for Posting , i voted on this

Cheers !

Neeraj

2 Likes

As far as I can tell there is no way to detect a mock location in a browser, so I think there will be no way to address this in Enketo.

1 Like

Hi @martijnr

The above discussion was for kobo collect.

As we only allows data entry in kobo collect

Cheers !

Neeraj

1 Like

Hi @Kal_Lam

Can you please guide , as i was not able to get the column of accuracy , to look at fake location accuracy to 0

Regards

CA Neeraj

@caneeraj, all you need to do is the following steps to get a fake location:

• Install any fake location app that is compatible with your device.
  • Open the app and then set your device to a fake location from the recently installed app.
  • Open Collect android app.
  • Start collecting GPS data. Your device should be able to collect data point with accuracy 0.

Once you have the accuracy 0 collected by your device you will need to understand that the device has used a fake location as it is not possible to collect a GPS data with accuracy 0.

1 Like