Filtering from a multiple question to a Ranking question

Hi,
Im building a form and want to filter a ranking question from a multiple question.How can I do this?Lets say Q1-is the multiple question and Q2 is the ranking question-how can I filter those options selected at Q1 to Q2.

Hi @mnelson,

Do you mean you wish to create a ranking question for Q2 based on the response selected from Q1? Could you kindly list a sample of questions for Q1 and Q2 along wit the choices so that we could help you out if it’s doable in KoBoToolbox.

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal
Yes I want to create a rankink Q2 the selections at Q1 as in the below Example.
Q1.What type of crop do you cultivate you in your parcels?

Coffee |

• |
    Enset |
    Khat |
    Maize |
    Other specify |
    None |

Q2.If additional activity requires some time, which activity would you work less?Top 3 activity to work less on

Hi @mnelson,

Maybe you could try this out as outlined in the image below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

In the choices tab of your xlsform:

Image 2

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:

Ranking with Cascading.xls (28.5 KB)

Have a great day!

3 Likes

Thanks Kal,really appreciated.

2 Likes

Hello @mnelson,
Few hints in addition to solution from @Kal_Lam :

• You - indirectly - force the respondent to select 3 items (or more) in the 1rst question, as the all 3 rankings are mandatory (checked on validation or on next in KoBoCollect). E.g. if you check less only 2 for example, the 3rd ranking will still be asked, but there is no option!
  • If the user moves back to the 1st question and deselects a choice ranked in the 2nd question, this ranking will be removed/emptied.
  • If the user first enters the 3rd ranking and than moves back and ranks the same item on ranking 2, the 3rd ranking will be removed/emptied. (Same for other back choice of the same, like 2nd and then 1st, or 3rd and then 1st).

The first issue might be optimised by applying a count-selected filter (relevant) for each ranking question (calculate variable preferable, as used 3 times).

Questionnaire-Hint:
What about a respondent who doesn’t find an item fitting for “a Man” in your 1st list? Maybe Add NONE of these or Other (specify)? (And adapt the form logic).

Healthy regards

2 Likes

This is a good idea,thanks @Wroos

1 Like

Ei @Kal_Lam, many thanks for this. It is very useful.

I have used this approach a few times and I would like to know it it is possible to:

1. Add an “other” (which I have already done)
  2. Add a “specify” (which I have also already done)
  3. The “specify” text to appear in the 3 ranking questions. I am trying to achieve this but I have been unsuccessful. Any advice on how to get it?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best,

Daniel

Welcome back to the community, @17dan1991! Would you mind sharing your workaround made so far so that the community could add to it.

Yes sure. This is the xls form I have got so farRanking with Cascading.xls (29.5 KB)

So ideally I would like to add the option of specify, and the text from the speciffy to appear if it is 1,2 or 3rd factor

Hi @17dan1991
I would recommend a different approach where you create a second select multiple that is auto filled by the first multiple select

Ranking with Cascading.xls (31 KB)

Regards,
Stephane

1 Like

Stephane, this option sounds great!

I’m having a bit of trouble because the custom label doesn’t display correctly in the dropdowns. The dropdown shows ${specify} instead of the text entered. It does display correctly in the second “select multple”, however.

Here is what Enketo displays:

Any idea how to fix this?

Have you tried with with the Collect android app? The Collect android app should support this.

Dear Stephanealoo,

When I try out your approach in ODK - XLSForm Online, I receive the following error:

I changed nothing, but the problem persists. What could cause the problem? I would like to use this approach in my ODK form, if I can solve this.

Thanks!