Geo point behavior with touch screens

Collecting a geopoint with GPS is great but if I have to manually enter a location by clicking on the map it’s virtually impossible on a touch screen tablet. There is no way to move the map around. You can only zoom using the + and - but there is no way to drag the map. Also as soon as you click something to place the point it does a full zoom out so you can’t see if you were accurate.

Using a mouse or the keyboard track pad on a laptop you can click and drag it around and zoom which is good, but even then when you click a point it does the full zoom out.

I’ve tried all of the advanced appearance switches I could find such as Enabling-Geocode-Correction and placement-map and they make no difference. All my enumerators use tablets and this is a really big issue I need to solve.

Have you simply tried using maps under the appearance and see if it solves your issue.

I tried it in my tab and i could move the map around and could also zoom the map. Would you mind trying it with a different tab. Also please ensure that your browser is updated and you are using some modern browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc.

No one here has been able to move it and I just verified it’s been tested on chrome FF and edge. Also this is on every deployed form we use.

To be clear you used your finger to move the map, not the mouse or pad, correct? Did you pinch zoom (that just expands or shrinks the entire page for me)?

Do you have the behaviour where it does a full zoom out when you click a location?

I can confirm the following:

• First i set the survey link to my browser in a tablet.
  • Then it takes me to the survey page. There i press the Map that is seen in the geopoint question type.
  • It takes me further inside. Here i am able to zoom, move the map using my finger (not a mouse or pad).

Note: I tried this with Chrome browser in a Samsung tablet.

Hi @timcthefilmguy
Kindly see additional clarifications below.

1. When using a computer that has a touch screen, you cannot be able to move the map using your finger. Tested this on ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo.
  2. However, this behavior when using a tablet is different (you can do it as @Kal_Lam had indicated.
  1. Pinch Zooming does not work on my computer too
  2. Pinch zoom works on the tablet
  1. Yes, on the computer, when you touch tap onto a point with more than one GPS Point within them, the map zooms out allowing you to see more scatter.
  2. Yes this works on the tablet too

Regards,
Stephane

1 Like

Stephane wrote:

Do you have the behavior where it does a full zoom out when you click a location?

1. Yes, on the computer, when you touch tap onto a point with more than one GPS Point within them, the map zooms out allowing you to see more scatter.
  2. Yes this works on the tablet too

This zoom out behaviour is not wanted. The enumerator is trying to enter a very exact location and has no need to see scatter. They are entering a single point. Can this behaviour be modified so it doesn’t zoom?

Hi @timcthefilmguy
I believe we are all discussing very different points. The behavior I indicated concerns looking at the map when you are looking at already collected data on the platform. It seems what you want is the viewing of the map when it comes to data collection. In this case, I will refer you to what @Kal_Lam had indicated earlier

1 Like

Ah yes - that makes sense from that perspective

For anyone seeing this in the future - I discovered the answer was to use “maps and hide_input” in the appearance (advanced) line - This makes the map appear on cell phones, makes the map movable with your finger on phones and still allows gps input. It also solves the zoom out problem on phones and tablets, but not on computers

2 Likes