Google Email used for SMTP "Less secure app access"

Hi everyone,
I have deployed KoBoToolbox in my organization, in the deployment config, specifically in .../kobo-env/envfiles/smtp.txt I used GMail account, and there’s also a note in that file which says:

NOTE: To send from GMail, the sending account must enable “Allowing less secure apps to access your account” (Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help).

I have followed that note. But there is also a note from the Google when I manage to turn on the Less Secure App Access:

Google will automatically turn this setting OFF if it’s not being used.

So after some time of inactivity, the Less Secure App Access is turned off automatically by Google.

Now I am wondering will there be update in kobo-install so that I no longer have to turn on “Less secure app access” if wanting to use Google Account for SMTP?

Hi @levi, there is currently no plan for this, but you are welcome to submit a feature request at #feature-wishlist and let the community vote :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

If in a position to, you might want to consider an yearly domain hosting tuning to as low as 15 USD then configure the smtp using the SMTP details of acquired domain profile.

2 Likes

You can still use gmail as smtp relay, you need to activate 2FA and then regenerate a new password specifically for your Kobotoolbox, check here](php - Gmail SMTP server stopped working as it no longer support "Less Secure Apps" - Stack Overflow) for more details

1 Like

This can be a tricky situation, so I understand why it’s causing some confusion. The best way to get started is to first make sure that you’re using the latest version of Google’s SMTP settings. Having the most up-to-date information will help ensure that you don’t run into any issues while setting up your email account. Additionally, it’s important to remember that Google requires its users to enable “Less secure app access” when using certain third-party applications. It’s a good practice to double-check that it’s enabled in your account settings.