Google Maps API

Hello,

We are getting this error when we are trying to lookup an address (openstreetmap to place a line)

1. {,…}

2. error_message: “You must use an API key to authenticate each request to Google Maps Platform APIs. For additional information, please refer to Google Maps Platform - Location and Mapping Solutions

3. results: []

4. status: “REQUEST_DENIED”

Is it possible to use our own API key for these requests?

Thanks,

Jeff.

@GISKitchener, could you also share the entire process you are using so that the community could also check at their end and help you identify the issue on where you did wrong?

Hello @Kal_Lam ,

Using the geotrace (Draw a Line function). When an address is put into the search box nothing is returned. In the Developer Console (F12) section you can see the call going to google maps and is getting rejected.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi @GISKitchener
It seems you need an API key for authentication before it can process your request. can you add the key at the end of your URL “&key=YOUR_API_KEY”.
Another possible reason that you have exceeded the usage limits for the Google Maps API.

1 Like

Hello @Hadeelt

Where would I add in our key into the form? I don’t see an option to add it.

I have put my link for the form and the attached xlsx file as well.

WorkPermitting.xlsx (15.3 KB)

https://ee.kobotoolbox.org/x/sRyfdVfw

Hello @Kal_Lam @Hadeelt ,

Any update on this?

Hello @Kal_Lam , @Hadeelt

Just looking for an update on this.

Thanks,

Hello @Kal_Lam @Hadeelt

Is there any way I could get this resolved?

Thanks,

Hi @GISKitchener sorry for the late response. I inserted one test record by using your form and it is working well unless you didn’t receive my input. Or I misundertsnd your issue.

1 Like

Hello @Hadeelt

It is the geolocator on the line segment that is not working correctly. That is causing the error above, if you type in an address and hit submit nothing is returned.

Thanks,

Hi @GISKitchener, thank you for reporting this! This is an issue on our end and will be resolved shortly — our sincerest apologies for not resolving this sooner.

1 Like

Hello Josh,

If it is at all possible with this fix - can you add a field to put in your own Google API key into the widget? This would allow the end user to provide their own Google API key for additional customization. Plus cost savings to not use yours.

It would make sense to limit your API key to X amount of retrievals per second and to add a disclaimer saying so. Google API hits are not cheap.

Thanks,

Hi @GISKitchener, please note that the original issue has been resolved and you should now be able to search for locations using the maps widget.

Thank you for the suggestion — this would require a much bigger change but is something we can consider for the future.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @Josh

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

1 Like