Help submitting forms! "Could not validate certificate" error

On one of my Android tablet devices, I am getting a certificate validation error (error message copied below and in the picture attached). None of the other tablets are having this problem and they are using the same form. How can I upload the forms that are on this tablet?

Error : Generic Exception
Com.android.org.bouncycastle.jce.exception.ExtCertPathValidatorException : Could not validate certificate: Certificate not valid until Fri Dec 25 01:00:00 GMT +01:00 2020 (compared to Sun Dec 20 12:53:07 GMT+1:00 2020)

Welcome back to the community @tworabbits! Seems like you are seeing this error message while trying to submit your submissions from your KoBoCollect android app to the server. Would you mind checking the date and time of your device? It should be distorted. Try fixing them and you should be able to submit them successfully.

Kindly please let us know what happens.

Thanks for the tip! We double-checked the date and time and they are correct on the device.

Which version of the Collect android app is this device using?

We are using V1.14.0a Part of KoBo Toolbox

And would you mind checking the Collect android app for other devices. It should definitely be the latest versions. We now have the latest release (KoBoCollect android app v1.29.3).

All of the tablets use the same version.

Hello! Just confirming that the tablets all use V1.14.0a Part of KoBo Toolbox. Do you have any other suggestions for how to move forward?

Oh, so the issue could be with the compatibility of the android app. Please try using the latest release of the KoBoCollect android app. The latest release has great features and there are a lot of bugs fixed.

As of now (the temporary solution to your issue), please feel free to go through our support article Manually Uploading Submissions to upload your data manually to the KoBoToolbox server.

But moving forward, please use our latest release of the KoBoCollect android app.

1 Like

Hi, thanks so much - we’ll try that. Do we need to delete and re-download the app?

1 Like

You could do it anyway i.e. either update the app through the google play store or delete them and then install them again.

But note, PLEASE KEEP A BACKUP OF ALL THE DATA THAT WAS STUCK IN YOUR DEVICE EVEN THOUGH YOU SYNC THE DATA WITH YOUR KOBOTOOLBOX SERVER.

1 Like