How can i use Kobo for a breastfeeding observation checklist with 53 items?

Our team is running a trial that includes several tools. One of the tools is the WHO B-R-E-A-S-T which is a breastfeeding observation checklist that has 50 plus items split into 6 categories and further split by going well/possible difficulties. The observer needs to be able to tick the items observed during the session. Ideally, this would be on one page, so the observer can view all of the items to determine which are being observed.

If we can’t put them all on one, perhaps we could break it into 6 questions according to category, but again, I would be grateful for any advice on how best to split the items by “going well”/ “possible difficulties” within each category being observed.

I’m struggling to figure out how best to approach this on Kobo. Any support and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @matthewschojan,

You can try something like this, or variations of it:
(The choice_filter is not necessary, but since the right side seems to be the opposite of the left, it might make sense not to be able to select both)

survey

type name label appearance choice_filter
begin_group body_position_group BODY POSITION field-list
select_multiple good_positions good_position Signs that it’s going well w2 not(contains(${bad_position}, name))
select_multiple bad_positions bad_position Signs of difficulty w2 not(contains(${good_position}, name))
end_group
begin_group responses_group RESPONSES field-list
select_multiple good_responses good_response Signs that it’s going well w2 not(contains(${bad_response}, name))
select_multiple bad_responses bad_response Signs of difficulty w2 not(contains(${good_response}, name))
end_group

choices

list_name name label
good_positions p1 Option 1
good_positions p2 Option 2
good_positions p3 Option 3
good_positions p4 Option 4
good_positions p5 Option 5
bad_positions p1 Option 1
bad_positions p2 Option 2
bad_positions p3 Option 3
bad_positions p4 Option 4
bad_positions p5 Option 5
good_responses p1 Option 1
good_responses p2 Option 2
good_responses p3 Option 3
good_responses p4 Option 4
good_responses p5 Option 5
bad_responses p1 Option 1
bad_responses p2 Option 2
bad_responses p3 Option 3
bad_responses p4 Option 4
bad_responses p5 Option 5

settings

style
theme-grid no-text-transform

With the resulting form looking like this:

1 Like

Thank you for the response - it’s exactly the way I was hoping to lay it out. However, is there a way to do this without affecting the rest of the formatting on the larger form? We have 10 other sections with 100+ questions that are displayed in the default settings with one question at a time and require validation before moving to the next question. The settings sheet just has the default language displayed in the current form. There is nothing about style. I’m not sure how to add the style to this one section of the form without affecting all of the others.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi @matthewschojan, unfortunately to achieve that layout it requires a form-wide theme to be defined in the settings sheet. You could split these questions into a separate survey if you want to have it both ways, or if you want to go with the grid theme, your other questions will look something like this:

(The grid theme does give you some additional flexibility in how you format the rest of your survey by giving questions a w[some number] value in their appearance column.)

1 Like

Thanks @Josh.

I don’t see a style option on my xlsform settings sheet when I download it. Should I just add the style column after the existing default language and version columns? Or should I delete the default language and version columns?

Also, Will the grid theme work on the Kobo App or only on Enketo and web-based collection?

Thanks

Hi @matthewschojan, you can just add another column with the style header in the settings sheet, no need to delete other settings.

Setting the theme only affects Enketo. You can see the differences between Enketo and the Collect app here: Overview on Data Collection Tools — KoBoToolbox documentation

2 Likes