How do i share my login credentials keeping my admin account safe?

Hello Good Morning all!
I have created a form that I now want to be able to share with another user.
I have enabled “Require authentication to see forms and submit data” in my account settings because I want to ensure that only the user that has permission can view and edit the form.
I have then gone to the deployed form settings, added a user and provided them with permission to “View Form” and “Edit Form”.
This is where I get a bit confused? - I can see a setting “Share publicly by link” and the option box “Anyone can view this form” - Is this the link I send to the new user so they can view the form? - Do they need to register or create an account with Kobo Toolbox or can I send them a password to login? I have read the support pages and tried to find some information in the forum but the topic “link” that may seems to address what I need to read is not working. Can you please help.

Thank you for your time and support offered and gratefully received.

Hi @datacollector,

Could not exactly figure out your requirement (as there are a lot of things mixed up in your query). Could you kindly let us know what you intend to do? i.e. do you wish to share a link so that enumerators are able to fill a survey in a web-form (aka Enketo)?

Have a great day!

Hello, yes basically, I have an agent who will complete some surveys for me and I need to let him access the form.

Thank you

Hi @datacollector,

If this is the case, would you mind having a look at our support article COLLECTING DATA THROUGH WEB FORMS. It should probably solve your issue.

Please let us know if it did not work for you.

Have a great day!

Hello, As you are aware , I am using the web form in ENKETO, this I have found, seems to work extremely well (especially as most of us use ios), as you suggest and as detailed in the instructions in your link, I have copied the form link to another tablet and it is asking for my KOBO Toolbox credentials, so as I mentioned in my question, if this was another user (not me as the “owner”, what credentials do they use? - Do they create their own account and and then how do I ensure that I have authorised them to access the form? (they may have been able to get the link address from another agent? - I do not want agents who I have not authorised accessing the form. I know I can add users to the form in the “form Settings” but how does the system link the user name I created (for example user2) to the person who is accessing the form?

Thank you

Hi @datacollector,

If this is your requirement, kindly please follow the following:

• As you already have a user account where you have deployed your survey project regard this as an Admin account.
  • Create a different user account under the same server where you deployed your survey project. Refer this as your Data collection account.
  • Now share the survey project from your Admin account to your Data collection account. Doing so you could share the login credentials of the Data collection account. This will keep your Admin account safe i.e. users are only able to access with the permissions provided while sharing the survey project. User could also collect data with the login credentials of the Data collection account.

Hope i was able to respond to your query.

Have a great day!

Hello,

Thank you again for your response, I am surprised that I cannot somehow just create a user and password for a user that I could revoke if for any reason I needed to. With your suggestion, if I understand it correctly, if a user was no longer carrying out surveys for us I would have to change the login details for that account and also tell all users that the password login details had changed, which could lead to confusion?
Thank you again, I would welcome any other suggestions?

Hi @datacollector,

If you still feel uncomfortable creating a Data collection account you could simply share it to the enumerators account with restrictions (that would keep your user account safe). The users could then login with their user accounts to fill up and submit forms to your user account. Doing this, you need not share your login credentials with the user any more.

Besides, you could also un-share the survey project once the survey project has been completed.

To learn more or managing permissions please feel free to visit our support article MANAGING PERMISSIONS. Maybe the support article ROW-LEVEL PERMISSIONS should also help you better mange your project data during the survey.

Have a great day!

1 Like

His is question is simple and the same is mine also. I am the owner I have a user name and password to access my forms, entire data and everything. Now I have a team of 10 people outsourced to collect data only. I do not want to share my password with them so that they don’t see entire data or make any modification in my form. Now I want to create one account which I will share with all 10 team members (may be in the form of QR code) so that they can submit data but they do no touch the back end. I hope it is clear now.

Welcome to the community, @yasirsaeeed! Have you gone through our support article Row-Level Permissions? It should solve your issue.