How to collect table in a table?

Hi -

For part of my questionnaire, I would like to collect data in a table format. For example, information on people in the household (name, age, sex, level of education, etc). Ideally, i’d like to have about 8 possible rows with the option to add more if needed. Is there a way to insert a table into my questionnaire?

Right now, the only solution i’ve found is ask all the questions for that section once, ask if there is another member of the household, and then if yes, repeat all questions. It seems that there must be a better way. If this is the only solution though, is there a way to always ask if there is another household member? Instead of me just repeating it over and over on the back end?

Thanks!!

Hi Kathy,

What you’re referring to is called a repeating group. Just create your demographic questions (age, gender, education, etc) in your form, select them one by one (holding down the CTRL or CMD key), and click Group selected questions. In the newly created group click on Settings and tick “Repeat this group if necessary”. When you collect data you can always add one more row for each household member until you’re through.

This works just like a demographic table would work on paper - except you don’t need to enter codes and can ask each question in detail with long labels, hints, a full list of options, etc. Displaying everything in a table format horizontally often is quite challenging. If you really want to create such a format that’s similar to the traditional paper format you can also do that, though only on web forms.

Best,

Tino

···

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 5:17 PM Kathy kathyg...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi -

For part of my questionnaire, I would like to collect data in a table format. For example, information on people in the household (name, age, sex, level of education, etc). Ideally, i’d like to have about 8 possible rows with the option to add more if needed. Is there a way to insert a table into my questionnaire?

Right now, the only solution i’ve found is ask all the questions for that section once, ask if there is another member of the household, and then if yes, repeat all questions. It seems that there must be a better way. If this is the only solution though, is there a way to always ask if there is another household member? Instead of me just repeating it over and over on the back end?

Thanks!!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Dear members hope this was responded to and if not kindly support, i would like to have in my mobile data collection tool to have an action table as below;
|Action Item, |Responsible Person, Due Date.
If not possible how does one have a plus below to enable one to add two or more actions?

Hi,
Have you tried the use of repeat groups as mentioned six year ago? This is the way most users are operationalizing this component for questions repeated over such as what you have.

Regards,
Stephane

@luswetiopicho, if you already have a defined set of rows and columns, you could do it through the Matrix question as outlined in the support article Question Matrix Response Type. However, if you don’t have specific rows, you could do it through the repeat groups as outlined in the support article Grouping Questions and Repeating Groups.

Hello @stephanealoo Yes i used this and i think it works for me as the repeat based on the reviews here gave me an idea. Thanks

@Kal_Lam applied the repeat one, but will also test the matrix one so that to see what best suits my query.

Thanks.

1 Like