How to make dynamic drop down menu

Hi @ All,
Please would like to know if its possible to create a dynamic drop down menu in such a way that when you select the drop down menu, and choose a country, next it will list the States under the country you have selected and when you select the state, it will list the LGA/Area within that State.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @caslas,
Absolutely! This is called a cascade select.

Here’s a how-to:
http://support.kobotoolbox.org/creating-forms/general/adding-cascading-select-questions

But if you run into any problems, let us know and we can help out!
Janna

6 Likes

Thanks Janna.

Thanks A load for your help…But this is more like a radio button function. I want it to be drop down.
Regards,

Hi,
appearance attribute (XLSForms column): minimal should help you. See here http://xlsform.org/en/#appearance.
Kind regards

2 Likes

Hi Janna, Please i am having similar problem. In my own case i already design my form using 5 states. the problem is the LGA is showing for just 2 states out of the 5 states i did.

Please help

Hi @daniel,

Welcome back to the community! Would you mind sharing your xlsform with the community so that the community could help you solve your issue.

Have a great day!

Thank you Kal. i just tried uploading it just now. but i got an error message saying new users cant upload.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m4f9CpFzuZ9EYWJrZ1pKYBxfcTptDeII/view?usp=sharing.

here is the link to it

Hi @daniel,

You should be able to upload an xlsform now.

Have a great day!

Thank you kal. Its still giving me same error. but i already share a link to the xlsform .

Hi @daniel,

Would you mind refreshing the page and try sharing the same through the forum. Requesting through the same so that it gets documented in the forum for future reference for other users as well.

Have a great day!

Osun, Niger, Ogun, Osun, and Kwara Cascade Form.xlsx (62.5 KB) .

Thank you Kal, i just shared the attachment.

Please help

Hi @daniel,

Great! So would you mind staring to draft as outlined in the post discussed previously (it has a simple workaround and looking at it you should be able to solve your issue):

Else, if you have a large number of choices, you could also use the following approach to design a cascading select question:

Kindly please reach us back if you still have issues while drafting the same.

Have a great day!

Thanks Kal, I eventually figured it out. I then uploaded 13 state as regard the initial 5. the problem now is that my system hangs every time i try to access my form or edit the form.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
The delay when opening is purely due to the size of the form. Unfortunately, there is no plausible approach to changing this unless the size of the form is reduced i.e. choices.

Stephane

1 Like

Thank you Stephane. I hope this wont happen when i want to access the submission?

Hi @Daniel
This should not be a problem when downloading data. If you experience any challenges, kindly reach out to us and we will be able to support.

Stephane

1 Like

I have already created a Excel Drop-down list tutorials without VBA with the help of indirect formula I am sure that can help you.
basically I have created 2 tutorials one is for basic and the 2nd one is for advanced.

Search on YouTube "How to create dependent drop down list in excel with multiple selections jktipstricsk"

This is the basic tutorial, I hope its useful for you, if you need advanced tutorial you can have it in the end of this tutorial video.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

1 Like

Hi @JKTips
Welcome to the community forum.
Thanks for sharing this tip. I however do not see the relevance as it relates to KoBoToolBox. Do you mind expounding on this connection?

Stephane

1 Like