How to trigger a new language to be accepted in transifex?

@ahoppe We updated all the strings in Transifex based on the latest version of kpi. Ideally we add your work there so it can be updated and improved in the future. Copying @magicznyleszek who may have some ideas on how to best integrate these strings. In the meantime, I just added you as coordinator to the newly created German team on Transifex :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@tinok I translated two strings for testing reasons: Everything seems fine.
In the next couple of days I will continue to translate the new strings.

As for now I will not review, because technically these are my own translations. If anybody else wants to review them: Feel free!

Thank you all for your preliminary work. Alone I would be far from being able to create such a platform.

2 Likes

That’s great news, thanks! If you know another German speaker who could do the verification that would be ideal.

@JackieM will get back on how we can import the existing translations into Transifex.

1 Like

I’ve discovered that after a little manual cleaning, the translations are easy to upload to Transifex. The translations from your branch @ahoppe should have been uploaded late last night, they just need approval from someone who speaks german :slight_smile:

The only thing I had to do was clean it to remove the non-translated strings because it would have treated them as if they were German

3 Likes

Thanks Kal_Lam,
I could take entirely on me the work to make the whole translation for an additional language (Italian) and then share it back with the community, but I see that it must be done only by Transifex, which is not free.
Is this the right way to proceed?

1 Like

Thank you for showing your interest in this @Chiaretta. I have moved your thread here and am also pinging @JackieM, who should be able to respond to your query with much clarity.

Hi @Chiaretta ,

what I did for local testing was to copy the language files
on
https://github.com/kobotoolbox/form-builder-translations
p.e. en/LC_MESSAGES/* to it/LC_MESSAGES
Then you have to tell kobo there is an additional language in https://github.com/kobotoolbox/kobo-install/blob/master/templates/kobo-env/envfiles/kpi.txt.tpl
in line 15 and start over the setup routine with
run.py --setup

I don’t know if this is the right approach, but it worked for me.

Transifex as I understood is only a web based editor to these files.

Well and there is a README which could have saved @JackieM from cleaning up my attempt if I would have been able to follow the instructions :wink:

1 Like

@Chiaretta Thank you for your interest in helping us with translations!

The instructions given by @ahoppe are one good way of helping us update translations. Though the steps in the README only work if you are a part of our team on Transifex.

The other way (and the way that I recommend) is to create an account on Transifex. Transifex only costs money if you create your own project on it, and you can request to be added to our project. If you go to KoBoToolbox localization and click Help translate KoBoToolbox button, you should be able to sign up there and it should send us a request to add you to the project.

You can also find the documentation for Transifex Here and feel free to @ me if you have any questions

2 Likes

Many many thanks. I’ll look into it

2 Likes

Turkish translate %100 ready on transifex. We wait transport :innocent:
In addition enketo %100 ready :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you @serkantumbas! Have merged your thread to this post so that @JackieM would be aware on it.

1 Like

@serkantumbas I’m hoping to have all the translations updated soon, I’ll ping you as soon as they are updated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you, @serkantumbas, for all your hard work and support with the Turkish translation.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m bothering you, I’m sorry. Is the project update close? We need the translation to be published because our project will start shortly. Thanks :slight_smile:

@serkantumbas, do you have anyone who could review the translations you made?

I translated it myself, I studied it myself. :slight_smile:

@serkantumbas, we could expediate the process if we had one reviewer for your translation. Maybe you could request some of your colleagues or friends who is well know with the language.

I am working at the university. I have a certain level of English. My first language is Turkish. At the same time, I had the translation supervised by a teacher.

@serkantumbas, pinging in here @JackieM.

If I need someone on transifex, I’ll try to set it up. Let’s define it for the teacher’s account. Translation for Enketo has been completed and accepted. They published it but it has not been updated on kobotool.