I want to build individual id by concatenating

If possible let me ask one more question.
if i have field kebele, subkebele, houseno and individid

i want to build individual id by concatenating kebele,subkebele,housenumber and then add individual number on it. so here the concatenation value will be populated in kebele question and i will add two digits.

Example:
kebele=01
subkebele=01
housenumber=01
individual=010101 ==>here i will input two digit manually to make it 01010101

and store this in the database. Is this possible?

Hint: If you use number types there will be no leading zeros.

You might use addition with multiplication to get the positioning with leading zeros. This would also allow to use number types for all elements, incl. the result, if you make sure that the leading position is not 0 (and max. 11 digits in total).
Ex. ID calculation = 90000000 + $}kebele} * 1000000 + ${subkebele} * 1000 + …

1 Like

i will use text not integer that why i talked about concatenation.

Further hint: Your ID might allow to identify a household/person and related personal data, esp. if combined with other data elements, like sex, age. Therefore, probably data protection policy is needed, at least on final storage level.

1 Like

@wroos can you please explain me the calculation you suggested above? why do i need to do like that?

Don’t worry, it’s just an alternate design option, using number type instead of text.

1 Like

@alazar_baharu, are they all integers or text question types that you enter manually?

They all are text. Thanks for your support i have read some of your replays to other users and i have fixed it. Once a gain Thanks for the support.

Yes, it is possible to build an individual ID by concatenating the values of the kebele, subkebele, housenumber, and individual number. You can concatenate these values together, ensuring that each component is properly separated. Then, you can add the individual number to the concatenated string to form the final individual ID.

Using your example:
kebele = β€œ01”
subkebele = β€œ01”
housenumber = β€œ01”
individual = β€œ010101” (assuming you manually input the two-digit individual number)

To store this individual ID in a database, you would need to have a table with appropriate columns for each field (kebele, subkebele, housenumber, individual). When inserting a new record, you would concatenate the values and store the resulting individual ID in the corresponding database column.

Keep in mind that the specific implementation may depend on the programming language and database management system you are using. It’s important to ensure proper data validation, security, and handling of input values before storing them in the database.