Importing data from Excel into KoboToolbox project

I have a project where I started collecting data in Excel but am now switching to data collection in a KoboToolbox project. I would like to upload the data I have in Excel into my KoboToolbox project so that collaborators can see all of the data and download it as needed. I see how to download data but not how to upload data. I have over 3000 records; reentering these into the KoboToolbox project would undoubtedly introduce some level of error that would have to be checked and edited so an upload is preferable. Any tips on how to upload data?

We use kobotoolbox with a mysql database. Your 3000+ can be imported into mysql db and with kobo api you can update mysql table.

···

On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 23:29:34 UTC+1, Elizabeth Moore wrote:

I have a project where I started collecting data in Excel but am now switching to data collection in a KoboToolbox project. I would like to upload the data I have in Excel into my KoboToolbox project so that collaborators can see all of the data and download it as needed. I see how to download data but not how to upload data. I have over 3000 records; reentering these into the KoboToolbox project would undoubtedly introduce some level of error that would have to be checked and edited so an upload is preferable. Any tips on how to upload data?

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem as Elizabeth_Moore. I want to be able to upload form data in CSV form back into a Kobo Form data table. We want to use Kobo as a way for those filling in form to also see the table data of the form. This allows them to view for example if a beneficiary is already registered. Our worry is that we can download backups in csv but if sth goes wrong with the form (lets say it is mistakenly erased or an error occurs) we cannot re-upload the gathered data into a copy of the form. So this function of being able to consult the table would no longer be available.

I am not sure that the answer from Joseph_Aghatise addresses this exactly. Or let us say that I do not understand it properly as more of a lay person. Could you expand on your reply and specify if it addresses specifically this question of uploading csv data back into the table of an form?

Thank you, that would help a lot!

Hi team. I am Romeo. New community Toolbox community.

I have a question indeed. How do I import data excel into kobo toolbox . If any idea or suggestion please feel free to drop me a line.

Welcome to the community @Romeo! This feature at the moment is not available in KoBoToolbox. However you could do the same using python code as discussed in the earlier post:

1 Like

Hello, Kal.

I would like to know if any way to upload data (scv or excell) to Kobotoolbox is already available. I don’t understand the answer about python. Could you guide me? Maybe with a video? I tried to follow in the steps of the python script creator, but, frankly, I’m not a programmer and I’m completely lost. I just want to upload my data table to Kobo.

Dear nicobueno,

It is possible to import data though HTTP POST request, and you can convert the CSV to JSON. I don’t know if it is possible to share video link here but i will share it if someone need it in future. I made a video and share it in linkedin about it.

1 Like

Thank you, @osmanburcu, for sharing this wonderful tutorial. It should benefit the entire KoboToolbox community. Expecting similar tutorials in the near future too. :clap: :heart: :partying_face:

Hello, @osmanburcu

Fantastic video!

I’m trying to follow your steps to upload my own data. But I ran into three problems.

1. My form does not have a question called “q1”. What should I replace “q1” with in the Body?

2. My form is not in “kc.humanitarianresponse” but in “https://kf.kobotoolbox.org”. Do I make any changes for the PULL to work?

3. What if my data is hand-passed data and doesn’t have the “_uuid” column?

Again, thank you very much for your tutorials. They are of great help.

Hi @nicobueno

1. “q1” reflects the question you would like to import. You can replace it with your question id.

2. You just need to find the import link for kf.kobo, try to replace the my link “kc.humanitarian” with your link. It should work i believe

3. You can add a uuid column to differentiate the records, you can manually give uuid, but you also can use one uuid for all records. It is up to you

If you need more help, you can share your xls form and i can edit the code for you to understand better

1 Like

Thank you, dear @osmanburcu. Thank you for your time.

I tried to follow the steps but still felt that the way to upload my data should be simpler. I kept searching the internet for a few days and came up with the solution.

In fact, it was @Kal_Lam who, in another consultation, had given a successful and simple solution. I leave the link here for future readers.

The solution is to use ODK ingrated with a Google spreadsheet. In this way, the data stored is completely editable for the end user and is updated as soon as the data is loaded from ODK Collect (the mobile app).

With this steps, anyone can upload old data (excel, csv, etc) to a simple Google spreadsheet. And, this spreadsheet will grow with new data from the ODK Collect users.

I know that this solution is not for KoboToolBox, but I had read that Kobo will soon allow integration with Google spreedsheet as the ODK project.

Hello Kal,
Trying to find out if there is a simpler solution to this challenge.
Thanks Daniel