Incorrect labels for Kobo data reports

Hi there,
I am looking to analyse our data on a survey but for some reason all the labels on each of the questions are incorrect, stating China, Taiwan, Korea, etc each time. This should not be the case as those are not options in the original survey.

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Dominic

Welcome back to the community, @dominicthomson! Would you mind downloading your XLSForm and checking the labels to see if it represents the one that is shown in the report? Kindly let us know what you see.

Hi there! Thanks :slight_smile: Good to be back.
Here is the attachment. It all looks normal to me. Seems to only be incorrect/corrupted on Kobo reports.
EJF_DWF_fisher_data_entry_form_-2022-all_versions-labels-_2023-07-20-05-01-09.xlsx|attachment (552.3 KB)

Best wishes,
Dom

Did you change the form, esp. choice labels, during data collection?
Which labels do you get if you export the data with options labels and all versions?

Hi there,

I don’t believe we’ve changed the choice labels. How would we check that? I’ve gone into the questionnaire itself and all the XML values are correct, so not sure why they only show up as China, Mauritius, etc when I do a Kobo report.

I’ve downloaded the data with XML headings and it’s still correct. So not sure why its showing as incorrect on kobo reports.

Thanks,
Dominic

EJF_DWF_fisher_data_entry_form_-2022-all_versions-False-_2023-07-20-10-10-27.xlsx|attachment (535 KB)

EJF_logo_transparent-ok-ok.png

Did you check the form with the online validator ? Do have have duplicate choice names?

You can check for previous form versions by creating clones from the form history view and looking at the choices in each cloned version.

What do you see in the table view (label mode)?

Could you share the relevant country choice_list?

Hi there,

I don’t understand how to use the online validator. Is there anyway that you can check the form on your end? I believe that we have paid for a Pro Kobo Toolbox account which comes with some element of hands-on support for these kinds of issues?

Thanks,
Dominic

Dominic Thomson

Deputy Director / Project Manager (SE Asia)
รองผู้อำนวยการมูลนิธิ / ผู้จัดการโครงการ (เอเชียอาคเนย์)

Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF)
+44 (0) 207 239 3310
Global HQ: 2nd Floor, Gensurco House, 3-5 Spafield Street,
London, EC1R 4QB, UK • Skype: dominic.ejfoundation

facebook.com/EJFThailand
@ejfoundation www.ejfoundation.org

attachment.png

Hi there,

Can I check back in on this please? We’re still encountering this issue and don’t know how to resolve it. I would really appreciate your support in this.

Many thanks,
Dom

Dominic Thomson

+44 (0) 207 239 3310

facebook.com/EJFThailand

attachment.png

Hi there,

Can I check back in on this please? Would be great if you are able to assist me with this ongoing problem. We’re now approaching an impending deadline for data analysis that the Reports function was previously able to provide.

Many thanks,
Dominic

Dominic Thomson

+44 (0) 207 239 3310

facebook.com/EJFThailand

attachment.png

Sorry, maybe someone from the core team can take over, please, as you have a support contract. @Kal_Lam

Can you do the following, please:

And share the relevant choices list.
Can you search in your choices for the “strange” countries, please, e.g. China.

Can you provide more details, please:

• the relevant Excel column names (in your attachment)
  • a screenshot of the report issue
  • and the related choice list of the form.

You can download your form from the project menu (…) as xlsx file and then upload and validate it with the online validator: ODK - XLSForm Online.

Which settings did you use for the data download? All versions?
Can you try with last version only and check if all values/labels are ok.