Install error on my server: exec /bin/bash: exec format error

Hello all
I have been trying to install kobo-install on my server. I am running Linux 20.04 on cloud.oracle.com on a 1 ampere CPU core 6 GB RAM and 50 GB space. Initially I tried to install on a server that was already running some containers when I had this error on otherwise smoothly going install. For the last 12 hours it has become frustrating for me as I am unable to find any help on the error I am getting.

I have tried creating a new server → install docker → git clone kobo install → then running run.py. Installation goes smoothly till it gets to Network kobofe_kobo-fe-network Created 0.2ss. After this there is exec /bin/bash: exec format error
An error has occurred

On docker ps the postgis/postgis:14-3.2 container is restarting continously… Some containers that were supposed to be created after this point are not created. Frustrating thing is I feel I am the only one with this error.

I have also installed this on my local VM ubuntu 20.04 and installation go extremely well and completed fully. However I am not able to access the kf from outside. So thats another issue, please leave this as it was just checking purposes and my main issue is installation on my server.

Here is my install log on server

sudo python3 run.py
╔════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║                                                                    ║
║ Welcome to kobo-install.                                           ║
║ You are going to be asked some questions that will determine how   ║
║ to build the configuration of `KoboToolBox`.                       ║
║ Some questions already have default values (within brackets).      ║
║ Just press `enter` to accept the default value or enter `-` to     ║
║ remove previously entered value.                                   ║
║ Otherwise choose between choices or type your answer.              ║
╚════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Where do you want to install?
[/home/ubuntu/kobo/kobo-docker]:
Please confirm path [/home/ubuntu/kobo/kobo-docker]
        1) Yes
        2) No
[1]:
Do you want to see advanced options?
        1) Yes
        2) No
[2]:
What kind of installation do you need?
        1) On your workstation
        2) On a server
[2]:
Public domain name? [kobo.local]: sjnotes.tk
KPI sub domain? [kf]:
KoBoCat sub domain? [kc]:
Enketo Express sub domain name? [ee]:
Do you want to use HTTPS?
        1) Yes
        2) No
[1]: 2
SMTP server? []: mail.mymail.ga
SMTP port? [25]: 465
SMTP user? []: admin.mymail.ga
SMTP password []: my_super_strong_password
Use TLS?
        1) Yes
        2) No
[2]:
From email address? [support@sjnotes.tk]: myemail@gmail.com
Super user's username? [super_admin]: sjadmin
Super user's password? [Zloo9m52BBuvk18Pc0SY]: my_super_strong_password
Do you want to activate backups?
        1) Yes
        2) No
[2]:
Cloning into '/home/ubuntu/kobo/kobo-docker'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 4264, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (560/560), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (269/269), done.
remote: Total 4264 (delta 317), reused 496 (delta 289), pack-reused 3704
Receiving objects: 100% (4264/4264), 2.47 MiB | 28.11 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2655/2655), done.
Note: switching to '2.022.44g'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by switching back to a branch.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -c with the switch command. Example:

git switch -c <new-branch-name>

Or undo this operation with:

git switch -

Turn off this advice by setting config variable advice.detachedHead to false

HEAD is now at 4ff7b00 Use enketo-express-extra-widgets:5.0.0-nested-repeat-count-fix-retry-with-old-numeric-widgets
From https://github.com/kobotoolbox/kobo-docker
 * tag               2.022.44g  -> FETCH_HEAD
WARN[0000] The "v" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
Launching environment
[+] Running 1/5
 ⠿ Network kobobe_kobo-be-network                                                                                                                          Created 0.1ss
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.2s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.2s
 ⠿ Network kobobe_kobo-be-network                                                                                                                          Created 0.1ss
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.3s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.3s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.4s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.4s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.5s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.5s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.6s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.6s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.7s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.7s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.8s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.8s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 0.9s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 1/6                    Starting 0.9s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 1.0s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 2/6                    Starting 1.0s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 1.1s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 2/6                    Started 1.1s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 1.2s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 2/6                    Started 1.1s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 1.3s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 1.4s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 3/6                    Started 1.1s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Starting 1.5s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 4/6                    Started 1.1s
 ⠿ Network kobobe_kobo-be-network                                                                                                                          Created 0.1s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Started 1.6ss
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                        [+] Running 5/6                    Started 1.1s
 ⠿ Network kobobe_kobo-be-network                                                                                                                          Created 0.1s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_cache-1                                                                                                                          Started 1.6ss
 ⠿ Container kobobe-redis_main-1                                                                                                                           Started 1.1s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-mongo-1
                                   Started 1.5s
 ⠿ Container kobobe-postgres-1
                                   Started 1.6s
 ⠴ postgres The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested  0.0s
Waiting for PostgreSQL database to be up & running...
[+] Running 1/1
 ⠿ Network kobofe_kobo-fe-network  Created 0.2ss
exec /bin/bash: exec format error
An error has occurred

Please help community. I need to get this running to collect data and to control dengue in my city. Thanks

You are probably using unsupported architecture, check this gitlab - Docker : exec /usr/bin/sh: exec format error - Stack Overflow

2 Likes

Thanks.
I had already seen that reply but did not consider it much but after you pointed out, I checked my architectures and found that I was using aarch64 and kobo-install dockers required amd64 or arm64.
So I installed on different vps it did not give the same error. I was able to install in VM on my system on local host and it is working fine. Please check my other post I have shared my issues and will really appreciate your help as you did here.