Internal server error when downloading encrypted forms

I’m trying to download an encrypted form from humanitarianresponse.info using ODK briefcase. Other, non-encrypted forms are downloading properly, but when I try to get the encrypted form I get this error message:

Submission not retrieved: org.opendatakit.briefcase.util.ServerFetcher$SubmissionDownloadException: Fetch of a submission failed.  Detailed error: INTERNAL SERVER ERROR (500) while accessing: https://kc.humanitarianresponse.info/lmh_rmel/view/downloadSubmission?formId=aYUb6osNQkDVsmqcpVzk5c%5B%40version%3DvyBmy5CEezkKt2b6tnFQes+and+%40uiVersion%3Dnull%5D%2Fdata%5B%40key%3Duuid%3A50833497-f4b9-4f6a-8c22-f131e02065f8%5D
Please verify that the URL, your user credentials and your permissions are all correct.

This survey data is of critical importance to us, any help on this would be really appreciated. Thanks

Hi
When I look at the issue you are having, I can say that this is potentially an issue with your encryption and not the system. This is affecting your retrieval

Regards
Stephane

Thanks for your response Stephane!

It’s not a decryption issue. When I manually place the few instances I have in the ODK Briefcase Storage directory, they decrypt (using export) with no problems. It’s specifically an issue with pulling forms from the database, where I get the Internal Server Error (500).

Also not an issue with my credentials, since I’m able to download non-encrypted forms.

Hi,

In case you are still struggling with this issue:
I had the same. It is bug in ODK Briefcase in versions greater than 1.15. I filed a bug report to the developers. Meanwhile, the only workaround I could find is sticking to version 1.15.0

Cheers!

1 Like

Additional information (I have just wasted 45 minutes of this, so if it can help someone…):
ODK Briefcase v1.15 is not able to handle a pulldata() call in a calculate field. So if, like me, you have an encrypted form with a pulldata() call in a calculate field, you need to do the following:

1. Use ODK Briefcase v1.15 to pull the encrypted data from the form
  2. Close it and use a more recent ODK Briefcase (I used v1.16.3 and it worked) to export the decrypted data.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi @freedim,

Thank you for sharing this to the entire community! It should benefit the entire users!

Have a great day!

1 Like