Is it possible to create a select_one type question where the choices are all the names entered in a previous repeat group question?

Hello everyone, please share your thoughts.

For example, I have a repeat question to capture the details of all the teachers at an school. And then in another repeat question to capture class level details, I need to create a select_one question to select a teacher who is the class teacher for that class.

Attaching a test form for your reference. Instead of the Text type question , at row 23, (Please enter the name of teacher for ${kw_grade_level_index} ${kw_arms_index} ), can it be a select_one question based on the teacher_repeat at row 2?Test_Form.xlsx (15.8 KB)

@veluthedan, apparently, this feature is not supported in KoBoToolbox. However, we already have a GitHub issue for the same. Maybe you could follow this post discussed previously:

I will get back to you when we have this feature with KoBoToolbox.

Thanks so much @Kal_Lam.

1 Like

@veluthedan, kindly be informed that the select_one from repeat feature is now available with KoBoToolbox with the upgrade of pyxform. You could design your survey project as outlined in the image shared below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:

select-one-from-repeats.xlsx (8.9 KB)

For more details on other new features, please feel free to go through our release note:

Hi Kal_Lam
Thanks for your solution. I can use this in my survey but is it possible that the choices of Q4 question be non-repetitive?
Also is t possible if Q2 question be select-one?

Welcome to the community, @sabi!

Did you mean the choices can be derived/brought from outside the repeat group (or not from the repeat group)? If this is your query, then I would say No as this approach is something brought from the repeat group.

Yes, it’s possible. But be sure it’s used in the correct way. Here is a simple workaround to show you that it works.

In the survey tab of your XLSForm:

In the survey choices of your XLSForm:

Reference XLSForm:

select-one-from-repeats.xlsx (11.1 KB)

Hi Kal_Lam,
thank you for your answer. I used your solution and it worked fine. :slight_smile: