Is it possible to restore data from xlsx to a new KoBoToobox form?

I downloaded the data submission from a kobo form. I made some adjustments to the data directly on the excel file. Know I need to upload the data back to a new form.
Need advice

1 Like

Hi @azizashal,

Downloading data from KoBoToolbox server to your computer is possible but the other way round at the moment is not. However, I personally appreciate your idea as many other KoBo users would benefit if one could upload the clean data-set back to the server. Hope we get to see this feature one day in KoBoToolbox.

2 Likes

This is very strange to be able to back up your data, while you cannot restore again.
It would be helpful to have this feature.

1 Like

That is what I really need.

1 Like

Hi @phonemyintkyaw,

Welcome to the community! Would appreciate if you could also hit the Vote button.

GOOD DAY!

3 Likes

Dear kobo support team,

I have always fantasised the way KOBO would be if we were able to use more advanced database features…I know that the main purpose of building kobo surveys is for efficient data collection but what will be better if we could enhance it to have a better KOBO…

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to build a data collection tool using kobo…I have relied on an old excel sheet that was full of information…I have searched a lot for an answer to avoid re-submit the data again record-by-record…and have read many solutions in this regard but all of them were a bit complicated like the one that suggested #postman.

I have to come up with some walkaround solution and was able to implement it and succeeded in bulk-uploading all the data from excel sheet to kobo.

I had this idea to write a #python code that will convert the data that I have in excel to xml in accordance with the survey fake submission that I extracted earlier as a draft…I zipped it again and submitted it to the server again…The good news is…It worked like a charm!!!..

I celebrated the moment for a while and then realized that I wasn’t able to edit the entries that I uploaded and an error message popped-up showing “Data server did not accept data. Contact the survey administrator please. (400)” …I am still wondering if it is possible to push this feature with the KOBO support team…
I am open to share my code and other details as needed…

Best,
Mohammed

@ms2333, linking your post with this post as we already have a feature request. Maybe you could VOTE for this to make it a reality in the near future. Additionally also checking out to see if you are interested in sponsoring this feature. Your small contribution could make a lasting difference to the entire KoboToolbox users.

hi
it is solved using python code and kobo api but t is tricky.