Kobo-install is stuck in a loop

Dear KoBoToolbox community,

I’m reaching for help setting up my own installation of KoboToolbox, which I currently experiement nothing but frustration with. My configuration is as follow:

• Jelastic VM (VPS with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)
  • 4 Gb of RAM
  • 12.8 GHz of dedicated CPU
  • kobo-install script in its most recent version yet (commit a61b14c)

I am following this tutorial for setting up my environment yet I cannot achieve a proper installation. After about 10 clean installs (uninstalling using this tutorial and starting all over) I still get to the same point where the process keeps on looping on the same operations. I checked the performances of my server and nothing unusual happens, It still is doing fine with enough RAM and CPU availability.

The installation process asks for 600 more seconds and then asks to reboot only the frontend instances, but it changes nothing to the final output. I never get to see the “Ready” message.

I also tried installing using a dedicated “kobo” user with docker rights and in its home directory, but since I was not getting the results I was looking for, I felt back on an install in the /opt directory using the root user… which lead me to the same conclusion.

Any clue on what’s happening would be a bliss. Thanks in advance!

P.-S: I checked the firewall rules and here’s my configuration, should it matter (all ports have been set to open for anyone, which I aim to fix once I get KoBoToolbox to work, of course):

You can find the configuration I use during the installation here (note: passwords have been removed for obvious reasons and domain name was redacted to “example .com”):

https://framabin.org/p/?533f07ce48850fa2#cK6MViYF8227g3awkae5Bf2TdLjM6J0S4+YbrAXTyuM=

Here’s what comes out of the python3 run.py --logs command:

https://framabin.org/p/?0de2b98683d33ace#CHvrtTGmdBxHEFoi6Xc3cx+LR86f44UQKKGiY0u+lSo=

According to these logs, everything seems to run correctly. I guess you tried to wait a long period to let KPI and Enketo Express compile assets.

Can you show KPI’s logs only please?

I’m having the exact same problem. Did you manage to solve it?

Best regards.

Did anyone solve this ? I’ve been stuck at the same loop for quite some time too.
Would be great if you have any insights.
Best regards.

whats the problem

1 Like

I’m trying to install kobotoolbox on my own server, when I choose to install it on my workstation everything works fine, but when I try the server installation, it gets stuck and ask me to wait for another 600seconds (I’ve tried waiting for hours and it didn’t work)
I’m using a VM with Ubuntu 18.04 and 12Gb RAM
Here’s the configuration I used :

and this is what comes out of the python3 run.py --logs

go to /etc/hosts and write
ipofserver kpi.kobot.local kbc.kobot.local et.kobot.local
save and try run again ./run.py

1 Like

Hi @HassaniKhalif,

@Elie is right, you are trying to configure a local domain name in server mode.
In server mode, your domain must be publicly accessible.
kobot.local is (probably) not.
Either you try what @Elie suggested or you run setup again and choose workstation mode.
In both case, your KoBo Toolbox instance will be accessible from the computer where /etc/hosts/ is modified.

1 Like

@nolive do u have a simple guide how to install my own SSL certificate, or do i have to install apache and use it as reverse proxy, if thats the case should i make apache listen on port 8080?

@Elie, your own SSL certificates should not be installed on nginx in kobo-docker.
As you have guessed, you need a reversed proxy in front of the app to serve HTTPS requests.
I don’t have a tutorial to install your own ssl but you may have a look this Installing own ssl certificate on Kobo and Kobo-install http/https/certificate nightmare

2 Likes

@nolive @Elie Thank you for your answers. But would’nt that make my kobotoolbox accessible only on this VM (the one where it is installed)? the workstation installation works fine but what I really want is for all the users connected to the local network to be able to access it. Is there any way to do it ?

you have to edit the host file first and make sure you are able to resolve the IP from the network thats all.

Hi @HassaniKhalif,

If you want your server to be accessible from your local network, you need to use a private DNS on your local network to let all computers on your network to resolve kf.yourdomain.tld, kc.yourdomain.tld and ee.yourdomain.tld.

Sometimes, there is an option in routers to let you do that (depending on your router).
Otherwise, you can also register a new public domain name at any registrar and assign local IP addresses to A records.

1 Like