KoboSync not aggregating files

Hi all,
Whilst I was testing my form I was able to use KoboSync to aggregate my XML files and get a CSV file. We have just run a small pilot in the field and I am trying to aggregate the data and for some reason it is not working!

I have data from 8 different tablets. They are Nexus 7s so to get the data from the tablets I copy the instances from the ODK/Instances folder on the Nexus, and put them onto my laptop. I have done this for all 8 tablets so all instances are now together.

Using KoboSync I have set the source to be this folder. I then press Aggregate (with the folder set to be a different folder) and it only picks one instance and does not aggregate others. Then when I click to make the CSV file, there is (understandably) only one row of data.

I’m hoping it is something obvious that I am missing!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Jackie

As an update to this problem, I have gone through every file individually and tried to ‘aggregate’ it- it seems some of the files just don’t work. There is no obvious pattern although some are clustered on one tablet. The forms are all finalised and the original form they are using is all exactly the same.

···

On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:24:44 PM UTC+3, Jackie Cook wrote:

Hi all,
Whilst I was testing my form I was able to use KoboSync to aggregate my XML files and get a CSV file. We have just run a small pilot in the field and I am trying to aggregate the data and for some reason it is not working!

I have data from 8 different tablets. They are Nexus 7s so to get the data from the tablets I copy the instances from the ODK/Instances folder on the Nexus, and put them onto my laptop. I have done this for all 8 tablets so all instances are now together.

Using KoboSync I have set the source to be this folder. I then press Aggregate (with the folder set to be a different folder) and it only picks one instance and does not aggregate others. Then when I click to make the CSV file, there is (understandably) only one row of data.

Jackie

Another update; I have managed to get all the data except from one tablet. There shouldn’t be anything different about this tablet. One thing I noticed in the XML file is that the device ID looks a very different format to the other tablets- I have no idea why and I’m wondering if this is causing the problem- or is that just ridiculous?

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:02:20 AM UTC+3, Jackie Cook wrote:

As an update to this problem, I have gone through every file individually and tried to ‘aggregate’ it- it seems some of the files just don’t work. There is no obvious pattern although some are clustered on one tablet. The forms are all finalised and the original form they are using is all exactly the same.

Hi all,

Jackie

Ok, final post re. this problem! So the device ID is the problem. The majority of my tablets have device IDs which are letters and numbers. Two tablets have device IDs which contain : (I’m told they look like MAC addresses?). The device ID is assigned when you first switch on the tablet for the very first time and is automatically assigned. I don’t know why these two are different as all are same make/model/bought at the same time. And it seems that Kobo Sync cannot aggregate these files because of the colons in the device ID. I have gone into the XML files, deleted the colons and that now works- clearly this isn’t ideal because it means I have to open every XML individually from those tablets rather than aggregating them all simply.

Any suggestions for a way round this?

Thanks in advance,
Jackie

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:40:09 AM UTC+3, Jackie Cook wrote:

Another update; I have managed to get all the data except from one tablet. There shouldn’t be anything different about this tablet. One thing I noticed in the XML file is that the device ID looks a very different format to the other tablets- I have no idea why and I’m wondering if this is causing the problem- or is that just ridiculous?

Hi all,

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

I don’t know where you are with Aggregate or what you’ve already attempted but have you tried uploading your files to the ODK Aggregate servers?

J

···

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 21:44:43 -0700
To: kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [KoBo Users] Re: KoboSync not aggregating files

Ok, final post re. this problem! So the device ID is the problem. The majority of my tablets have device IDs which are letters and numbers. Two tablets have device IDs which contain : (I’m told they look like MAC addresses?). The device ID is assigned when you first switch on the tablet for the very first time and is automatically assigned. I don’t know why these two are different as all are same make/model/bought at the same time. And it seems that Kobo Sync cannot aggregate these files because of the colons in the device ID. I have gone into the XML files, deleted the colons and that now works- clearly this isn’t ideal because it means I have to open every XML individually from those tablets rather than aggregating them all simply.

Thanks in advance,
Jackie

Hi all,

Jackie

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to kobo-...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users?hl=en.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Hi Jackie,

DeviceID are a series of numbers, so it is unclear why you would receive a MAC address (with colons) instead of a device ID. Can you first check the device ID on the tablets that pose problem? If strangely it does - KoBoSync supports colons in text entries, so it should be easy to extend that to the ID, but realistically it is unlikely to be done within the timeframe that you need, but there may be a way around this.

KoBoSync uses the device ID for two reasons: (1) it helps identify the source phone/tablet and (2) it is used to generate a “key” field, which is a unique identifier made out of the deviceID and timestamp down to millisecond – this is a unique identifier for your record since it is impossible to start two instances within the same millisecond on the same device. If you can live without this, you could try deleting the “deviceID” reference in your form in a text editor – I don’t know if KoBoSync will give you an error if it does not have a deviceID – if it does, you could also simply assign a fixed value to deviceID in your form, instead of collecting the actual one. The drawback is that you won’t have information on what device was used for which data easily available– you can always ask users to specify it, but it is prone to errors.

Also if it is indeed the device ID that poses problem it may be possible to change it - You can find info here:
http://desk.n2acards.com/customer/portal/articles/961970-can-i-change-the-android-device-id-
but please note that I have not used this app. But I have never used it and wouldn’t recommend it in the middle of deployment.

Hope this helps – and hopefully others will chime in.

P.

Wonderfully weird problem, Jackie!

Are they all Nexus 7? I can’t imagine why one of them would have a bizarre device ID. Device ID’s should just be numeric. Is it the same weird number every time and always from the same Nexus?

Copy one from the XML and send it to the list, let’s see what it looks like.

Do you have android debug bridge installed? You can use that to debug your tablet and determine what the deviceID really is.

I like Patrick’s idea of creating an arbitrary ID to replace the weird one. To easily replace the device id in every instance, just do as you are doing to get the instances into a folder on your computer.

Then, let’s say that the weird device id with colons is 123:49423:34234

Use a program like Notepad++ that let’s you find and replace in all the files in a folder without opening them. (Notepad++ is magic)

Choose Find, Find in Files

Find What: 123:49423:34234

Replace with: 1234942334234

Directory: C:\yourFolder

That will get rid of the strange ID without any trouble and then you can make your CSV.

~Neil

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2013, Jackie Cook wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Jackie

Hi all,

Jackie

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Kobo Users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+...@googlegroups.com.

Hi all,
Thanks for the help with this. Luckily two of the tablets were spares/supervisor tablets so I have swapped them for these two!

I agree the Device ID is really helpful. I also ask them to write team number- but in the pilot saw some errors with this.

An example of the strange ID: 08:60:6e:a2:88:f3
And of the others: 1516d76af2d7ae0b

All are Nexus 7s.

That’s very helpful re. Notepad++. I was thinking I’d have to open up every XML!

Survey is due to start imminently- I’m hoping I don’t have to ask too many more questions! Thanks so much for helping me get this far in such a short space of time!

Best wishes,
Jackie

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:16:07 PM UTC+3, Neil Hendrick wrote:

Wonderfully weird problem, Jackie!
Are they all Nexus 7? I can’t imagine why one of them would have a bizarre device ID. Device ID’s should just be numeric. Is it the same weird number every time and always from the same Nexus?

Copy one from the XML and send it to the list, let’s see what it looks like.

Do you have android debug bridge installed? You can use that to debug your tablet and determine what the deviceID really is.

I like Patrick’s idea of creating an arbitrary ID to replace the weird one. To easily replace the device id in every instance, just do as you are doing to get the instances into a folder on your computer.

Then, let’s say that the weird device id with colons is 123:49423:34234

Use a program like Notepad++ that let’s you find and replace in all the files in a folder without opening them. (Notepad++ is magic)

Choose Find, Find in Files

Find What: 123:49423:34234

Replace with: 1234942334234

Directory: C:\yourFolder

That will get rid of the strange ID without any trouble and then you can make your CSV.

~Neil

On Thursday, June 6, 2013, Jackie Cook wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Jackie

Hi all,

Jackie

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to kobo-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

I agree the Device ID is really helpful. I also ask them to write team number- but in the pilot saw some errors with this.

For this, you make a single select and make it required. Controls data error.

Never seen one like this. KoBoSync chokes on the colons, make sure you do that find and replace on your data to avoid trouble.

Survey is due to start imminently- I’m hoping I don’t have to ask too many more questions! Thanks so much for helping me get this far in such a short space of time!

Good luck out there, Jackie. The KoBoNauts would love to hear more details about the nature of your project and methodology. We keep a showcase of user’s and projects, we’d love to include yours.

~Neil Hendrick

Team KoBo

There really must have been some boot issues as this is not a standard device id - did you manage to pull the device id directly from the tablet, not from KoBo just to check? I wonder if other apps would not choke on this too.
Good luck with deployment,

Patrick

···

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Neil Hendrick Neil.H...@kobotoolbox.org wrote:

For this, you make a single select and make it required. Controls data error.

Never seen one like this. KoBoSync chokes on the colons, make sure you do that find and replace on your data to avoid trouble.

Good luck out there, Jackie. The KoBoNauts would love to hear more details about the nature of your project and methodology. We keep a showcase of user’s and projects, we’d love to include yours.

~Neil Hendrick

Team KoBo

There is also an app you can get to check your device ID without using Android Debug Bridge.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evozi.deviceid&hl=en

Thanks guys- I used the app below to look on one of the ‘strange’ tablets. So Kobo sync is picking up the wifi MAC address for the device ID. The device ID is alpha-numeric (no colons)- and similar to my other tablets. There is nothing special or different about the two tablets that it is doing it on…very strange.

···

On Friday, June 7, 2013 7:09:25 PM UTC+3, Neil Hendrick wrote:

There is also an app you can get to check your device ID without using Android Debug Bridge.

I wish you go for NS Sync to aggregate your files .Avoid the hustle to read the mac address.

···

On Monday, June 10, 2013 7:00:57 PM UTC+3, Jackie Cook wrote:

Thanks guys- I used the app below to look on one of the ‘strange’ tablets. So Kobo sync is picking up the wifi MAC address for the device ID. The device ID is alpha-numeric (no colons)- and similar to my other tablets. There is nothing special or different about the two tablets that it is doing it on…very strange.

Good tip, Peter. Do you have a link for NC Sync?

···

☞§※☼:airplane::open_umbrella::slight_smile:

~Neil

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Peter Kinuthia peterki...@gmail.com wrote:

I wish you go for NS Sync to aggregate your files .Avoid the hustle to read the mac address.

On Monday, June 10, 2013 7:00:57 PM UTC+3, Jackie Cook wrote:

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kobo-users.

can you give the NS Sync link please