Limiting choice combination in select multiple question (restricting 2 choices to be selected by enumerator)

I am trying to limit the combination of responses to a question. I have read about how to limit this when using None, Don’t know and so on. But in my case, The choice list for this question has a, b, c, d. The respondent can only choose a maximum of up to three responses, but can only choose either b or c, with any combination of the rest of the choices. This means that you can’t have both b and c selected for the same respondent.

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome back to the community, @francis22! This post discussed previously should help you solve your issue:

Thanks a lot Kal_Lam for the feedback. Unfortunately, your suggestion does not resolve my issue. With this form, I am not allowed to select the last 4 items in the list. However, with my form all options can be selected. However, option b and option c cannot both be selected by the same respondent. Any combination can be selected of either 1 response, 2 responses or 3 response as long as option b and c are not selected for the same entry. I hope this is clearer than the one that I posted earlier.

Thanks

@francis22, you should be able to do it as outlined in the image shared below:

In the survey tab of your XLSForm:

In the choices tab of your XLSForm:

Image 2

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: no error message

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: no error message

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: error message showing when condition satisfies

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: error message showing when condition satisfies

Reference XLSForm:

Constraint on Select_Multiple Question Type.xlsx (11.4 KB)

Hello Kal_Lam,
This is exactly what I was trying to achieve. It works perfectly well even after I had given up for the possibility of success.

Thanks a lot for the support.

1 Like