Linking Question

I have this form. The Feature Class has several options. Any option we choose will lead to the same question, “Feature Type” but with different responses that we can choose. For example, if I choose ‘Hydrography’, on the “Feature Class”, the responses to “Feature Type” question would be ‘Ocean’, ‘River’, and ‘Pond’. But, if I choose ‘Building’, the responses to the “Feature Type” question would be “Airport”, and “Hospital”. Is there any way to make my form simple by only having one “Feature Type” question? Not setting up several question asking the same “Feature Type” with different logic and responses?

Hi @faqihr,

What you are looking for is called cascading question, it is documented perfectly in this help article: Adding Cascading Select Questions — KoboToolbox documentation

If you need further help, don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Hi @hakan_cetinkaya

Thanks for the solution! I’ve tried the cascading question using form builder by following the article. It is said that the list_name needs to be written in lowercase. So, I write ‘fclass’ instead of ‘Feature Class’. After I input the template, I would like to change the question shown in the form by capitalizing the first letter to make the form follow the basic rule of writing. But when I use previewing form. It said: “There has been a problem trying to replace ${fclass} with the XPath to the survey element named ‘fclass’. There is no survey element with this name.”

Is there any way to resolve this?

1 Like

It seems that this problem with changing the question can be solved by using XLSForm. The XLSForm provides more flexibility than using the form builder. Thanks for the advice @hakan_cetinkaya!

2 Likes