Multiple Question Reference for Cascading Select

Hello KoBoToolbox community.

Is there a way to combine selected choices or specified text-input responses from previous questions (multiple) to use as your options for a question? For example, I have 3 questions.

Q1 (Multiple Select or Multiple Text-Input) - List of all immediate family members in the household
Q2 (Multiple Select or Multiple Text-Input) - List of other household members
Q3 (Multiple Select) - Household members (from Q1-Q2) who are college graduate

Thank you!

@hm11, could you make a short dummy question for this issue? Maybe that should help the community to understand your case. Also, please do not forget to mention the instruction on what should be displayed in Q3.

hi @Kal_Lam , please refer to this sample. for Q1 and Q2, question type can be select_multiple or text

thank you so much!

@hm11, I have some more questions for you:

Is the list under Q1 and Q2 predefined? i.e., four family members for Q1 and two family members for Q2? Or could this number change from respondent to respondent.

hi @Kal_Lam . yes, the list varies from respondent to respondent. thank you

@hm11, is this question designed inside a household roster (repeat group)?

hi @Kal_Lam . all questions 1-3 are not inside a repeat group. if it helps, here’s an additional screenshot on the xlsform that I am working on

Don’t know if this post discusses previously should solve your issue partially?

Yes! Thank you for this @Kal_Lam

Now, is there a way to combine multiple reference of repeats. Coming from the same post, what if I also I want to have two begin_repeats (one for immediate family members & another one for others) . then for my follow up question, I combine all inputs from both repeats and set them as my choices.

Thank you!

Also, does this new feature also apply to select_multiple repeats? Thank you again.

@hm11, i don’t think if it should support with select_multiple like it does for select_one.

I see.

Just to confirm/follow up on my other concern, is there a way to combine multiple reference of repeats. Coming from the same post, what if I also I want to have two begin_repeats (one for immediate family members & another one for others) . then for my follow up question, I combine all inputs from both repeats and set them as my choices.

Thank you @Kal_Lam .

@hm11, I tried to do that too previously but could not. Maybe our community should also have a workaround for this.

1 Like