Number formatting: How to retain leading zeros, and display to two decimal places?

Hello

I am having some difficulties with number fields. One field we use to collect telephone numbers, which here in the UK all start with a leading zero however Kobo seems to strip this out and will save the value without the zero at the beginning. Is there a way to change this behaviour?

I also run a calculation based on my input data which is a currency, this calculation needs to display the results to two decimal places. I’ve tried various tricks but I cannot seem to find one that works, is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Hi Robert,
For your first query you will need to use a text field, to which you can add a regex constraint to make sure that only numbers are captured. For example it could be regex(.,‘^([0-9]){14}$’). You can also set it up in such a way that it has to start with the UK indicator or else it isn’t accepted.

Another solution if you don’t like the fact that the number keypad doesn’t appear with a text type question would be to add the 0 in an extra calculation (not very clean but functional!)

For your second query, you can use the round() function in your calculation: round((${VALUE}),2).

Best,

Maeve

···

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:36:16 AM UTC+1, Robert Fitzgerald wrote:

Hello

I am having some difficulties with number fields. One field we use to collect telephone numbers, which here in the UK all start with a leading zero however Kobo seems to strip this out and will save the value without the zero at the beginning. Is there a way to change this behaviour?

I also run a calculation based on my input data which is a currency, this calculation needs to display the results to two decimal places. I’ve tried various tricks but I cannot seem to find one that works, is this possible?

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Hi Robert,

Another solution to your first question would be to make the phone number a "text" question, and then (in Kobo) set the Appearance as "numbers."

In XLSForm, you would write "numbers" in the Appearance column.

1 Like

Thank you for this idea, this works well for us

···

On Tuesday, 24 October 2017 00:33:38 UTC+1, Peter Smith wrote:

Hi Robert,
Another solution to your first question would be to make the phone number a “text” question, and then (in Kobo) set the Appearance as “numbers.”

In XLSForm, you would write “numbers” in the Appearance column.

1 Like

Hi Maeve

Thanks for the suggestions, for the phone numbers I’ve gone down the option of a text input which works fine for us.

With the rounding to two digits, I am struggling to get it to work. I have added the round code into the formula but it seems to be ignored and shows the same whether with or without.

The calculation I am using is:
round((${softcalc})*2.50,2)

``

Which for my test example gives an output of 25 instead of 25.00 as I would like it to show.

Can you advise why this may be?

···

On Monday, 23 October 2017 23:11:16 UTC+1, ma...@de-france.net wrote:

Hi Robert,
For your first query you will need to use a text field, to which you can add a regex constraint to make sure that only numbers are captured. For example it could be regex(.,‘^([0-9]){14}$’). You can also set it up in such a way that it has to start with the UK indicator or else it isn’t accepted.

Another solution if you don’t like the fact that the number keypad doesn’t appear with a text type question would be to add the 0 in an extra calculation (not very clean but functional!)

For your second query, you can use the round() function in your calculation: round((${VALUE}),2).

Best,

Maeve

Hello

Thanks in advance

Hi Robert,
At first glance, your parenthesis are probably wrong depending what type of calculation you are trying to do (the example I had given earlier in the thread might not have been very clear!)-in your case I would probably use: round((${softcalc}*2.50),2)
Hope that helps.

Best,

Maeve

···

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 2:29:57 PM UTC+1, Robert Fitzgerald wrote:

Hi Maeve

Thanks for the suggestions, for the phone numbers I’ve gone down the option of a text input which works fine for us.

With the rounding to two digits, I am struggling to get it to work. I have added the round code into the formula but it seems to be ignored and shows the same whether with or without.

The calculation I am using is:
round((${softcalc})*2.50,2)

``

Which for my test example gives an output of 25 instead of 25.00 as I would like it to show.

Can you advise why this may be?

On Monday, 23 October 2017 23:11:16 UTC+1, ma...@de-france.net wrote:

Hi Robert,

Best,

Maeve

Hello

Thanks in advance

1 Like