Problem to import data in SPSS

When I download data from kobotoolbox (SPSS LABLES & XLS) and then import data from excel to spss I face a problem. For Value labeling I select all the items and click on run option and then an error occured. Here I attached the error picture

It is probably an error concerning valid naming rules in SPSS, for ex. names starting with _.
You can fix it by editing the labels file.
Unfortunately not all names coming from Kobo are valid in SPSS.

Using the search function of this forum will provide more hints on SPSS import, e.g.
Kobo to SPSS Variable Name and Value Considerations - #2 by wroos.

It seems that you worked with generated Kobo names (Formbuilder?) and names starting with numbers. This will now generate a lot of _ problems for SPSS.

Hint: Pre-test the whole data process before data collection, including export/ïmport for external tools like SPSS. And be aware of naming rules in target systems, when starting form design.

You may also need to fix some types in SPSS, e.g. for datetime variables.

1 Like

@borshonbhattacharjee, would you mind providing the following information through a private message. Maybe I could have a closer look at your case:

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server

Note: You could share with me a private message as outlined in the post discussed previously:

Hi @Kal_Lam,
I think, it is a general issue with Kobo exporting names starting with underlines, e.g. metadata like _id. It is easy to test this with any simple form and SPSS (label import).
Kind regards