Problems with Briefcase: Attachment download and csv export

Dear KoBos,
I get an error for the attachments (media data, i.e. pictures (jpg) and the audit.csv files.

Furthermore, the csv export (without media) starts, but is never coming back, and creates nothing. There is even no logfile for the export. We are currently testing export without encryption.

Further questions: How can I reset/delete all previous download? The setting: Clear pull history, does not do this
But all instances data are still there, the next pull gives:
image.
I finally had to delete the instances sub-folders manually. Sorry, that’s not what I would expect.

@Kai_Lam: I extracted this here to a new topic.

I am sorry, this would mean public access and is not an option for the project, even temporarily. We treat sensitive refugee data, that is why we are testing to use briefcase. We need to download and export data with Briefcase, including attachments, without making anything public. Briefcase is even promoted for encrypted data,

(Update: I tried meanwhile with shared public, and this is working for the attachments. But this should not be the KoBo solution, please! Also, all other findings mentioned above, did not change.)

Kind regards
Wolfgang

Making the data public has helped to pull the data :slight_smile:

Thanks.
I tried it already:

(Update: I tried meanwhile with shared public, and this is working for the attachments. But this should not be the KoBo solution, please! Also, all other findings mentioned above, did not change.)

But, I am sorry, making sensitive data public (even temporarily), should not be the official solution for KoBoToolbox. It works without for the form data, but not for attached media and audit files. Why? Maybe a request to development is needed?
Best regards

Hi @wroos,

Kindly please be informed that ODK Briefcase is a tool developed by the ODK (not KoBoToolbox) to manage their data. Hence, the same may not be fully compatible for KoBoToolbox (in all circumstances apart from some exceptional cases). In this regards, we would encourage KoBoToolbox users to use (and exploit) the inbuilt features from KoBoToolbox (as KoBoToolbox offers a wide range of options to download data from its server).

However having said this, we shall always look around to see if we can make changes to overcome the issue!

GOOD DAY!

Thank you, Kai,
may be this is interesting too?

Would be interesting if you encounter the download problem, if you use an ODK server?

We might come back with a development request here. As Briefcase is the promoted option for KoBoToolbox encryption and local back-up (and upload), we would really like to have a solution which allows download without opening the project to the public. (Also, I don’t understand why it works well for the form data but not for the attachments, incl. audit.csv)…

Would be great, if you also have support for the other problems:
Further questions: How can I reset/delete all previous download? The setting: Clear pull history, does not do this
But all instances data are still there, the next pull gives:

Furthermore, the csv export (without media) starts, but is never coming back, and creates nothing. There is even no logfile for the export. We are currently testing export without encryption. This is not related to the attachment issue.

Kind regards
Wolfgang

1 Like