Randomly changing the order of groups with questions

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to change the order groups with questions without duplicating them.

Say I have 3 groups (of many different questions each), group 1, group 2 and group 3 and i want to change the order of appearance in the Kobocollect android application without the user have to use the jump to arrow in the app.

I can use a random generated number to determine the order, like

• number =1, the order is group 1, group 2, group 3,
  • number =2, the order is group 1, group 3, group 2,
  • number =3, the order is group 2, group 1, group 3,
  • number =4, the order is group 2, group 3, group 1,
  • number =5, the order is group 3, group 1, group 2,
  • number =6, the order is group 3, group 2, group 1

But how do I program that this order appears without the user need to use a jump to arrow in the app and without replicating each group of questions with different names as I want the results of the questions to be captured in the same name/colums when submitting the form?

Thanks

@DaanVelthausz, have you tried reading this post discussed previously? It should help you solve your issue:

Dear Kal,

I know this work around, but I have groups that consist of many questions and I was hoping that there was an easier way to slect the random order the groups without copying the groups and chaning the names in the questions in these groups as this makes it more difficult to analyse.

Best
Daan

Can we know what type of tediousness managing and analyzing our data?
I have the same problem of arif_1234

(@arif_1234, you could do it as outlined in the image shared below. But note that this is an approach where you are randomly selecting one group where you have shuffled the questions beforehand. Also please be informed that this approach will solve your issue but it will be a bit tedious to manage and analyze your data. Note: Since the workaround has three groups I have used 3 within the calculation. If you have more or less group you could change the number accordingly. Say if you have 5 groups…)
thanks

@rimaoulleik, could you describe more on this? Maybe the community should be able to help you out if it’s possible.

Dear,

I have 4 big group
A
B
C
D
if the enumerator does his first questionnaire with the appearance
A, B, C, D, it should the second questionnaire do with another appearance of this group such as
B, A,D, C
so I want to do a random for these 4 big groups and to appear all the 4 groups in each questionnaire

I hope I have clarified what I want

@rimaoulleik, you mean you have 4 groups A, B, C, D. So, when randomizing, you wish to have the groups displayed B, A, C, D or C, B, A, D or D , C, B, A like these?

yes , thanks

1 Like