Ranking options and then asking to rank top options across multiple questions

Hi everybody. I want to create a survey that focuses on ranking questions in three parts, and then asks respondents to rank the top ranked response in each question, but cannot seem to find a way to do this with Kobo. Any advice is very much appreciated!

For example (hypothetical):

1. Rank the following Italian meals in order of preference: (a) gnocchi, (b) lasagna, (c) veal scaloppini, (d) pizza
    (respondent selects lasagna)

2. Rank the following Chinese meals in order of preference: (a) sweet and sour pork, (b) fried rice, (c) stir fried chicken, (d) spring rolls
    (respondent selects fried rice)

3. Rank the following Mexican meals in order of preference: (a) fish tacos, (b) quesadillas, (c) guacamole, (d) chicken enchilada
    (respondent selects fish tacos)

4. Rank your top three across all three types of meal: (a) lasagna, (b) fried rice, (c) fish tacos

So, essentially, the 4th question recognises the responses that have been entered in the previous three questions, and presents the 1st ranked responses back to respondents for additional ranking.

I have seen reference in another thread to asking questions about the three top ranked responses in one question, not across multiple questions.

Thank you in advance for help!

@julianamariana, maybe you could do it as outlined in the image shared below:

In the survey tab of your XLSForm:

In the choices tab of your XLSForm:

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference XLSForm:

Cascading Select (with Select One Questions).xlsx (13.3 KB)

1 Like

Hello @Kal_Lam,
maybe the solution could even be made easier?

• Instead of the calculates etc. the choice_filter might be like name = ${Select01} or name = ${Select02} or name ={Select03}
  • Furthermore one combined choice list might be used with cascading filter to get the choice subgroups for the 3 initial select_one
    Kind regards
1 Like

Thank you so much. I will try these options and let you know how they worked.

1 Like