Referencing responses from a select many questions into a subsequent matrix questions

Hi, I am trying to reference responses to a select many question into a subsequent matrix question. Eg. I have a question which asks “who received funding for this project?”, where respondents can choose between 1 and 5 answers. Then, I have a follow up question where I want the respondents to say how much funding was received and how much was spent by each recipient?

Anybody with experience doing this?

Thanks!

@anupah, could you share a pictorial description of the issue? Maybe the community should then be able to visualize your issue and help you out if it’s doable with KoboToolbox.

thanks @Kal_Lam . I have uploaded some screenshots. My issue is that the responses from the select_many question show up as “undefined”. For the select_one question - it’s all good. I have attached the form i used as well. I am assuming, that i need to adjust the code when referencing multiple responses.
test_reference.xlsx (7.5 KB)

@anupah, you could do it as outlined in the image shared below:

In the survey tab of your XLSForm:

In the choices tab of your XLSForm:

Image 2

In the settings tab of your XLSForm:

Image 3

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: when nothing is entered

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo: when some choices are selected

Reference XLSForm:

test_reference.xlsx (13.2 KB)

Thanks!! exactly what i was looking for. will try and let you know.

1 Like

Thanks for these responses. And now just to add a layer of complexity: The matrices are working great but I have an “other” option in my list of recipients (select_one) and other recipients (select_many) which is followed by a text question allowing respondents to manually enter their response if not in the list. If somebody selects “other” - I now have my matrix showing both a line that says other and one that has the manually entered value. How can I restrict the responses so that “other” does not appear as a line but only the text line?
(lines 9 to 170 in the attached are of interest here for the matrix I am referring to)
reportingform_redacted.xlsx (48.2 KB)
@Kal_Lam or anyone able to help?

You could make use of the relevant (skip) here.