Repeat group of questions on the same screen

It appears as if something strange is going on when I try to use both options ‘Repeat this group if necessary’ and ‘Show all questions in this group on the same screen’. If I use just the ‘Show all questions’ setting, the form will load appropriately on my phone. If I also have the ‘repeat this group’ option selected, the form will not have the group of questions on my phone. Is there a way to work around this issue? Thanks.

Hi @justinrolfs,

Welcome to the community! I tested it on my end and it seems to work fine for me. FYI i followed the followings:

Built the survey form in the KoBoToolbox Form Builder UI:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:
Deployed the form and then tried testing them on Enketo as shown below:

Step 4:
Tested the same in KoBoCollect android app:

Step 4.1: Pressed ADD GROUP

Step 4.2: Filled up the form and then moved forward

Step 4.3: Pressed DO NOT ADD and moved forward

Step 4.4: Saved the filled up form

I could see the data in the server.

Reference xlsform: If you wish to test the same that i tested
Grouping Questions & Repeat Group.xls (29 KB)

Additional: I tested this on KoBoCollect android app v1.25.1

Please let us know if you still have any issues!

Have a great day!

Thank you for testing this out and giving such a thorough response. One thing that I forgot to mention that may influence this situation is that I have multiple groups of questions in this form. I have three groups of questions that I only want to ask once but then the fourth group of questions I want to repeat so that the user can complete the fourth group of questions multiple times. Is something like this possible? Thanks again for your help.

Hi @justinrolfs,

If i got you correct on what you have requested for, you could do this as follows:

• Create first group (as outlined in the instruction provided above, then click Show all questions in this group on the same screen. Be careful, do not click on Repeat this group if necessary. Note: You will not be able to repeat for this group.
  • Create second group (as outlined in the instruction provided above, then click Show all questions in this group on the same screen. Here too, be careful, do not click on Repeat this group if necessary. Note: You will not be able to repeat for this group.
  • Create third group (as outlined in the instruction provided above, then click Show all questions in this group on the same screen. Here too, be careful, do not click on Repeat this group if necessary. Note: You will not be able to repeat for this group.
  • While creating the fourth group follow the same instructions outlined in the instruction provided above. But this time click on Show all questions in this group on the same screen as well as Repeat this group if necessary. Note: You will be able to repeat for this group (as many times as you wish).

Hope this helps you solve your issue!

Have a great day!

1 Like