Select encrypted fields

Hi there,

Does any one know if there is a way to select which fields will be encrypted and which not?

Thank

Hello,
as far as I know, there is no possibility to differentiate encryption for a form on field level, unfortunately.
(There are limited possibilities to hide data in the KoBo data table and reports.)
Also, be aware, that KoBoCollect does encryption only on finalisation (not on temporary save).
Kind regards

1 Like

Hi @freedim,

Would you also mind having a look at the support article Encrypting Forms. It should provide you a detailed outlined on how to encrypt your form.

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam,

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been encrypting my forms since day 1 without problem (except that ODK Briefcase v1.16 and higher cannot pull encrypted data; I already filed the bug a couple of weeks ago in GitHub).

But I remember a couple of years ago, a client imposed me SurveyCTO, which is a paid proprietary solution built upon ODK, and there was a field property “public” that prevented a field to be encrypted and allowed it to be seen in online data verification tools.

Apparently, SurveyCTO developed that feature on their own and it is not part of XLSForm specifications. I just wanted to make sure that I had not missed it somewhere in KoBo Toolbox.

Cheers

1 Like