Select-One question

Hi Colleagues,
I have different select-one questions in my survey. Each select-one question leads to another select-one question. for example,
Q1: Where are you live? (Choices: Region1, Region2.) If Region1 selected, Q2 appears/ if region 2 selected Q4 appears
Q2: what governorates of region 1? (Choices: A, B, C, D, E, F). Depending on the selected governorates, the relevant select-one question appear. for example, for governorate A the Q3 appears
Q3: which city? (Choices: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11).
Q4: what governorates of region 2? (Choices: A2, B2,C2, D2, E2, F2) Depending on the selected governorates, the relevant select-one question appear. for example, for governorate A2 the Q5 appears
Q5: which city of A2? (Choices: 11, 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 1010, 1111).
The problem that I need to block the group of region B if region A is selected and vice versa. the respondent can choose region A, then, relevant governorate and city. Then, s/he can go back select region B and select relevant governorate and city. I want to block that to avoid any confusion in data analysis. Thanks in advance

Your form design seems unnecessarily complicated. As far as I understand, your requirement are just cascading selections (for locations). This is normally done with choice_filter, Would you mind to have a look at the Help Center article, please:
Adding Cascading Select Questions — KoboToolbox documentation.
And see here too: Form Logic - ODK Docs.

Furthermore, cleaning of the previous sub-selects (after backward change) should automatically be done when you finalise the case. You may check this by submitting few case examples and then looking at the data on server level. (The “invalid” data will already be hidden when you save and reopen the case).

You can also use the search function of this forum to find a lot of similar discussions and examples, e.g. Search results for 'cascading questions select_one' - KoboToolbox Community Forum.

1 Like

@wroos, :clap: :heart: :partying_face: