Sending back the link to the person who filled the form for completion

Dear community,

I have read the article How to Edit or Delete a Single Submission ; however there is still a question remaining : it seems that the possibility to edit a form is only offered to the administrator. But for my case, I have received a form from a staff, however it is not complete, so i would like to know if there is a possibility to resend the exact same form (the one not completed) to this staff so that himself can complete it since he has the information? I feel like only the administrator can edit a form through data table , it seems that there is not an option to resend via mail the form filled to the person who didn’t fill it properly.

Welcome back to the community @saralo! Maybe you could follow the steps outlined below to share a link to your colleague who happened to submit you an incomplete form (or say even a form that had some data inconsistencies):

• Open your survey project.
  • Go to SETTINGS>Sharing.
  • Check Anyone can view this form and Anyone can view submissions made to this form from the Share publicly by link as shown in the image below:
  • Now go to DATA>Table.
  • Select the submission that you wish to send it back to your colleague for an update/correction (or what ever your need is).
  • Now once you see the edit page of the survey form, select the URL and then send it back to your colleague via mail or any medium that you wish to connect.

Your colleague should be able to open the link (survey form) and make corrections and send them back to you.

Once the corrections are made, make sure that you uncheck Anyone can view this form and Anyone can view submissions made to this form from the Share publicly by link that you had checked before. This should help you with securing your dataset that is in the server.

1 Like

Dear Kal_Lam, thanks a lot for you very prompt response. Last question : If a staff want to go back to a form to uplodad a pic or anything else , do the staff have to ask permission again? Wouldn’t it be possible that the staff can go back to the form whenever he/she want? For instance, the staff could filled the form and then two months after come with a new information on the exact same activity : instance a new pic to add : therefore do i need to re do the process you mentioned above, is there no possibility for the staff to re modify the form whenever there is the necessity and without having to play with “the Share publicly the link”

Best,
Happy holidays.

1 Like

If you feel that the data should be updated regularly by your colleague maybe you could skip the last part that i have suggested:

Once the corrections are made, make sure that you uncheck Anyone can view this form and Anyone can view submissions made to this form from the Share publicly by link that you had checked before. This should help you with securing your dataset that is in the server.

Dear Kal_Lam, excellent thanks a lot for your support.
Best

1 Like

Dear Kal_Lam,
When I send the linf for modification to my colleagues, they receive the following error mistake :

Could you please tell me how to proceed ? FYI : the link i am trying to re share : https://ee.humanitarianresponse.info/edit/Dw0fNCXD?instance_id=1658578c-d725-4222-9543-59d8921d42d4&return_url=false

Could you send me the following through a private message (it would be easy for us to troubleshoot your issue):

• Your username
  • Project name

OK. It seems that you are trying to update the form multiple times with the same link. So if you are doing that you will see an error message as shown in the image below:

Thus to avoid this error message you will need to share a different link (for each updates, else the enumerator will not be able to make updates) for the same submission.

Continuing the discussion from Sending back the link to the person who filled the form for completion:

Thanks for the explanation however I don’t really understand how to share a different link ; because it seems that i can not change the “shareable link” and other point : my colleagues have filled the form, but then after i have modifiy the forms and redeployed maybe it has an impact since my colleagues filles the form and then i redeployed the form which might have created an other link … In any case, when you say “share a different link for each updates” i dont really see/understand how to do that?
Thanks again.
Best regards.
SARA

That means, you will need to go back to the following steps (again):

• Once again open your survey project.
  • Go to SETTINGS>Sharing.
  • Go to DATA>Table.
  • Once again select the submission that you wish to send it back to your colleague for an update/correction (or what ever your need is).
  • Once you see the edit page of the survey form, select the URL and then send it back to your colleague via mail or any medium that you wish to connect.

You will need to follow the steps outlined above each and every time your colleague wishes to update the record. Else if you colleague tries to update the record from the same URL he/she will see the error message seen above.

Hello,
Happy new year.
I have tried many times to follow your instructions however I still have the same error message. It seems that if you do not have a Kobo account you can not edit a submission. But what i want is the possibility for a colleague (who do not necessarly have a kobo account) to edit a formula he or she already submitt just by clicking in the link that i am suppose to resent.
Thanks agai for your support.
Best/

Have you used the link once or more than once? If it’s more than once, you will be seeing the issue.

Dear Kal,
I hope your are doing well. I am just getting back from holidays and i retried the same process that you exaplained to me : i ask a colleague that never filled the form to do so than when i received it i saw some informations missing so followed the process you explained and re send the form to this same colleague to ask her to modify informations sent. However, when i sent her the URL of the edit page back via mail she couldn’t opened it and saw the same message error. FYI she does not have a kobo tool box account. I think that it is just not possible to modify a form if you are not a kobo user . Please confirm. If so i will just explain to my colleagues that they have to create an account in order to be able to modify the form. Thanks

A quick check. Try opening a survey project in a browser (say browser 1 e.g. Chrome). Click the pen like edit button and then open the form to edit. Now copy the URL of your form that is ready to edit and then open it in a different browser (say browser 2 e.g. MS Edge). You should be able to edit and submit the same to the server.

Dear Kal,
Thanks for the tip. However, still the same problem : same error message or the page just keep on loading… Thanks

OK, could you open it for the first time?

Even first time did not work.

Would you mind trying it again by clearing the cache of your browser?

Dear Kal,
I cleared my browser and unfortunalty still the same error message …
That’s the link : https://ee.humanitarianresponse.info/edit/Dw0fNCXD?instance_id=321ff3b5-8daf-4e4d-97bd-accd4deeb873&return_url=false

Best.
Sara

OK, could you provide me the _id for this case. Will have a look at it from your user account.