Signature not appearing in gallery when collected using Enketo

I created a practice form using the IMAGE type and SIGNATURE appearance. It works fine when I use the Kobo Collect App, however the signature appears as a black (see screenshot) image when collected using Enketo (either through a mobile phone browser or desktop browser). Has anyone encountered similar issues with a solution? I need to collect data using both the app and Enketo, as many of my enumerators use iOS devices.

Hi @iancg,

Welcome back to the community! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I too tested it at my end and was able to see the same issue that you have flagged. Shall report this with our developers.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thank you for your response. ODK and KoBo Toolbox are great apps, we are using it for COVID-19 response here in the Philippines.

Stay safe!

2 Likes

@iancg
Thank you for the good job you are doing on COVID-19. We will keep you updated on this. Could you confirm that this issue persist when using both KoBoCollect and ODK Collect?

Stephane

1 Like

Hi Stephane, we have not tried the signature function using ODK Collect, only through KoBo Collect and Enketo for KoBo ToolBox. So far, signature collection works fine with the Android KoBo Collect app. The problem occurs when we use Enketo.

Kind regards,
Ian

1 Like

Hi,
This is a known issue on our side and we established that the behavior is caused by the way the signature image is stored. It’s a transparent PNG, so given that our gallery has a black background and it’s a black signature it just can’t be seen easily right now. When you click on the image it opens the original file.

Our developers are however working on fixing this issue.

Stephane

1 Like

Thank you, Stephane. is there some kind of workaround that we could use for the mean time?

Hi @stephanealoo! Is there already a solution to this issue?

Ian

Hi @iancg,

Could you show us a screenshot of the problem that you are having so that it would be easy for us to help you out.

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam, same issue as my original post. When I take a signature using KoBo Collect app, it works fine. But when I take a signature using Enketo, I get a blank screen such as below.

Hi @iancg,

Would you mind providing me the following (through a private message) so that i could have a look at my end:

• Username
  • Server
  • Project name

Have a great day!

Hi,
I would like to confirm that the image is fine: It’s a transparent PNG, so given that our gallery has a black background and it’s a black signature it just can’t be seen easily right now. This is currently being fixed. You can still download the image to their computer. Either right click - save as… in the gallery to download the large image version, or click on the image first, then right click - save as to download the original

Stephane

1 Like

Thank you @stephanealoo. So the problem seems to be the way Enketo saves the PNG file? Signatures captured using the KoBo Collect app do appear with a white background.

Ian

1 Like

Hi,
I may have missed the little question at the tail end of your response. This is more about the browser than Enketo though

Stephane

1 Like