Some submissions got lost. Server up-time issues?

We were using a form hosted on kf.kobotoolbox.org for about a week to collect and submit filed data and everything worked just fine. But some (but not all) submissions made within a couple of days seems to get lost. Forms were filled up from several laptops in the web-view (Enketo), queued and uploaded right away (at least they are not on the device anymore, the queue is empty). But we cannot see them on the server.

Again, not all submission got lost. And there were no changes in the form or our workflow. But from 228 submissions we have all together, about 12 submissions reported by the team members as lost around 7-9 of August. These lost ones were made by the same people and the same day/time as other, successful submissions.

Any ideas why this has happened? Were there any server up-time issues these days? Is that possible to check log files etc.? And how to avoid this in the future, cause now the team needs to check the server every day to make sure we have the correct amount of submissions successfully uploaded. So the trust to the tool decreased :frowning:

Our form ID (from the server URL) is aXHgK36Z3MET9VgppR536X

Thanks.

Hi @ethnoby,

Welcome to the community! Thank you for flagging up the issue. Your issue has been reported to the developers and we shall soon let you know on why and how this has happened.

@Kal_Lam would you please ask developers to check my last comment in the private thread attached to this issue. There is no answer for two weeks already, So the issue is not solved yet :frowning:
Thank you.

@Kal_Lam, please, any updates on this?

We really want to understand what happened with our data to avoid data loss in the future and trust Kobo. Would you please ask developers to check my latest comment in this private thread, which is about a month without an answer already: https://community.kobotoolbox.org/t/some-submissions-got-lost-server-up-time-issues/4663/7

Thank you.

Thank you for the reminder @ethnoby, it has been flagged out!

Hi @Kal_Lam,

I’m currently experiencing the same issue. It happens several time now and it’s always the same: my field enumerator has reported the submit some data, but some of it never reach the server.

We always handle this issue by re interview-ing/ re-submitting. But because it happen again, and again, i think we need some explanation on why this happens,

@Kal_Lam @stephanealoo, maybe you guys can help…?

Hi @riseindonesia,

Could you provide your user name, server details you are currently using and the project name in a private message? Would also appreciate if you could let us know how much of your data seems to be missing.

GOOD DAY!

Hi Kal,

Where or how can i send private message to you? And where can i get information about my project server detail?

Thank you

Hi,

I would like to re-open this thread, as we are experiencing the same issues. We sent out our surveys via link, and have received multiple accounts of people submitting their answers without us receiving them (i.e. they do not appear in the data).

Hi @Matthias_Lefil,

Welcome to the community! Would you mind ensuring that the enumerators/respondents submitted the submissions to the server. It’s possible that the enumerators/respondents think that they submitted the completed forms but get stuck in their browser.

Have a great day!

Hi,

Yes, we ensured the respondents submitted. They are also not stuck in a queue, and no longer available in their browser.

It is affecting quite a few entries.

Hi @Matthias_Lefil,

Would you mind providing us with the following information (in a private message) so that we could further dig into your issue:

• Username
  • Browsers used by the enumerators who could not successfully submit their data to the KoBoToolbox server
  • OS of the device (along with it’s version)
  • Tentative time on when the data was sent to the server
  • Tentative data you assume should be missing in the server

Have a great day!

I tried messaging you privately, but it says I cannot do so.
Please advise.

Hi @Matthias_Lefil,

Would you mind trying it now? You should now be able to send a private message.

Have a great day!

Hi,
There is a likelihood that this happened sometime back when we had a glitch. Could you confirm that you can see all the data on the system now.

Stephane

1 Like